Hole in my hlt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence R

Reaction score
Did a brew today and noticed a drip coming from my hlt. After a lot of searching with a powerful light I located a minuscule hole in what otherwise appears to be a totally sound stainless steel bottom. It’s so tiny I wouldn't be a able to pass a fine needle through it. No idea how this can happen. Can anyone recommend some form of heat proof food safe epoxy(?) or other material I could plug this with?

Did a brew today and noticed a drip coming from my hlt. After a lot of searching with a powerful light I located a minuscule hole in what otherwise appears to be a totally sound stainless steel bottom. It’s so tiny I wouldn't be a able to pass a fine needle through it. No idea how this can happen. Can anyone recommend some form of heat proof food safe epoxy(?) or other material I could plug this with?
If you have access to a plumbers style blow torch then solder it? Make sure you give it a good clean afterwardstho.

Failing that, use a wooden tooth pick, inserted from the inside as a temporary measure, trust me it works. I’ve used this method on gas risers in the oil and gas industry and it works. Plus the hole with dry wood, when the wood gets wet it swells and plugs the hole even tighter, a bit like chucking an uncooked egg into a leaking car radiator.

Thanks for all the advice. have no experience with solder. I’ll try the toothpick idea first and drill it out if all else fails. Cheers.

If you have access to a plumbers style blow torch then solder it? Make sure you give it a good clean afterwardstho.

Failing that, use a wooden tooth pick, inserted from the inside as a temporary measure, trust me it works. I’ve used this method on gas risers in the oil and gas industry and it works. Plus the hole with dry wood, when the wood gets wet it swells and plugs the hole even tighter, a bit like chucking an uncooked egg into a leaking car radiator.
When I was a child I lived in an unheated Victorian house with lead plumbing. Every winter one of the pipes in the lavatory sprang a small leak and this was the local plumber's remedy - a small wooden slip tapped into the hole - it worked every time.

Drilling and stainless steel nut and bolt with silicone or nitrile washer.
Wooden " bung " good for emergency but I'm worried i'd knock it out during cleaning.
Both great tips that I have tucked into the memory.

You could also get another temp probe, drill and use that to repair the hole and it's another data point. I bought several online and they are quite cheap but haven't yet fitted them. Wanted one for the side of the kettle but haven't installed it yet.

When I was a child I lived in an unheated Victorian house with lead plumbing. Every winter one of the pipes in the lavatory sprang a small leak and this was the local plumber's remedy - a small wooden slip tapped into the hole - it worked every time.
It works mate. I’ve worked on many ships at sea and when you go inside the tanks or chambers you will always find (an approved) hole repair kit, which consists of a set of wooden spikes and a hammer for banging in any holes that crop up. It’s the done practice and it works.

Back