Homemade Mash Tun (Graham Wheeler)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1634 Racine

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm returning to home brewing after a 15 year hiatus and need some advice.

Last time I constructed my own mash tun I was operating under the instruction of Graham Wheeler so I was using two fermenting buckets, one inserted inside the other with holes drilled in the bottom and a whole load of boiler insultation.

Upon returning to brewing I find that most people are constructing mash tuns from cooler boxes. Having looked at some of the instructions it seems that this method of building a tun is more complicated than the two bin solution.

Are Mr. Wheeler's methods totally outdated now then? Has there been some great advancement that means that the two bin solution is frowned upon?

Not sure the coolbox solution is more complex, I just did one, drilling the hole and fitting a tank connector & tap took very little time. Sawing endless slits to make a grain manifold took ages, but I guess you'd have to do that whichever method you used.

i made a MT out of an old FV which i fitted a ball valve tap copper grain filter then just insulated it with an old hot water jacket it works a treat just sit it on some polysyrene and a piece on top no worries :thumb:

Thanks guys. Guess there are many ways to achieve the same objective. Think I might give the coolbox a go after all. Nice little project to be getting on with I suppose.

:cheers:

You could also use a male and female coupler instead of a tank connector such as these

Screwfix item 69358 - male coupler
Screwfix item 55471 - female elbow

Aslong as your washers are not too thick you should get a watertight seal and it saves drilling the tank connector out.

Back