Honey Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjas

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have just bought some Honey Malt for an AG brew. Has anyone used it before? If so, have you got some idea on how much to use? I want to make a pale ale and was thinking 10%.

Jas

Where did you buy it from. If you bought it from'Beautiful Beers' then it isn't honey malt but melanoidin. I am not sure why he seems to think they are the same but they are not, honey malt isn't available in this country and is very unique.

Hi mate, I have used this stuff in a Belgian blonde I made about six months back, it's quite nice, pretty much as you'd expect really... very subtle undertones of honey sweetness. It didn't really suit the style all that well as I wished I'd made it a bit drier like Belgian beers are...
But it turned out a decent beer. I'd think of it a bit like crystal malt but without the toffee/caramel flavour. I think it leaves a fair few unfermentables.
I'll dig out my notes in the morning and give you my %'s.

Hi mate, I have used this stuff in a Belgian blonde I made about six months back, it's quite nice, pretty much as you'd expect really... very subtle undertones of honey sweetness. It didn't really suit the style all that well as I wished I'd made it a bit drier like Belgian beers are...
But it turned out a decent beer. I'd think of it a bit like crystal malt but without the toffee/caramel flavour. I think it leaves a fair few unfermentables.
I'll dig out my notes in the morning and give you my %'s.

Did you import some Darren?

Where did you buy it from. If you bought it from'Beautiful Beers' then it isn't honey malt but melanoidin. I am not sure why he seems to think they are the same but they are not, honey malt isn't available in this country and is very unique.

Yes that's the stuff, and from that shop. I take it then I have not bought honey malt? I am wanting to brew a honey pale ale and after reading online it seems that just adding honey isn't the way to go.

Will the melanoidin malt impart a honey aroma/taste?

Darren, did you brew with honey malt or melanoidin?

Thanks for your info.

Jas

Yep you both used melanoiden which is different. Honey malt is a unique malt made by Gambrinus that doesn't really have any substitute unfortunately, I spent ages trying to find it in the UK before getting some sent to my wife's hotel when she was in NYC. The real stuff smells like incredibly concentrated honey, melanoiden is often quoted as a substitute but it will give you something different.

Thanks for the info F00b4r. I have just had an email from the seller to tell me it's not Gambrinus honey malt. So fair play to him for letting me know, but maybe he should advertise it as this?

I'll still give it a go as I'm looking to experiment with my brewing at the moment. I think I'll use 10% and see how it goes.

I am learning so much just from this forum, thanks everyone.

Jas

melonoidin malt makes beers (in particular lagers) more malty. Melonoidin is what give munich malt a bit more maltyness I think. It's also use instead of doing a deconcoction mash (a sort of a step mash) if you cant be bothered/are unable to do one

Hi

I have used the German melanodin malt to good effect in APAs. I like strawish coloured APAs/IPAs so use just 150gms in 22L for a light honeyish flavour. But curiosity has got the better of me and I have ordered 1lb of the real Honey malt from Canada to compare. Will taste and brew with it and report back. Ian

Back