Hop Cavern

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys.

So next Saturday we are planning a trip to the hop cavern in Howden, which is just down the road from us and we’ve never been. I know @Redwulf shops there sometimes and I know a few of you guys like your Belgians.

I’m led to believe they sell a range of Belgians and I wondered if any of you have any recommendations? I’m not a fan of dubbels really but quads are something I’d like to try.

Hopefully someone will help me with some good ones to break me in to the strong Belgians. (No polite way to put that 😅😂)

When the husband sees this he will probably put that in the phrase book of Lisa-isms! 🙄😂

Any input welcome. 😍

So many 🤔

On the fruit side I like Lindemans Kriek and Delirium Red.

Then for strong malty beers there’s Trappistes Rochefort 8, 10, 12

For clean dry smooth strong beer I like St.Feuillien Grand Cru

The usual suspects would include Karmeliet Tripel, Kwak, Saison DuPont

A nice Belgian bitter is DeRanke XX Bitter.

A nice strong chocolate beer is Barista Chocolate Quad.

I don't like westmalle dubbel unfortunately. It was just too pruney. Hope they're not all like that or I'll need a new plan lol

I'd prefer them on the sweeter side I think. Deffo want to try a westmalle tripel for starters, and the chocolate quad sounds yum.

In my experience most "Belgian" style beers made outside Belgium are not very good. Might be a better experience to go in without any expectations!

Fair comment, thank you.

I'm trying not to waste money on something I don't like. Of course it's all relative to what we each like.

My taste is quite different to most people's and my favourite beers are probably what you'd all call 'cloying' lol 😂

Most Belgians tend not to be cloying due to their high carbonation and full attenuation. They are very concerned about drinkability.

Hercule stout is a nice drop too at 9% abv. lovely little 330ml bottle to re-use!

if you like oaked beers then Adriaen Brouwer "oaked" at 10% abv is a lovely late autumn/winter sipper.

Paix dieu is also a lovely 10%'er and has a beautiful long stem glass.

if you get the chance a trip to Bruges is fantastic any time of the year.

Last edited:
As h said the barista chocolate quad is a belter of a beer and the flavour changes dramatically as it warms up.
Another is st bernardus abt 12 @10%
La choofe range and the delirium range are also very good
Kasteel also have lovely triples and quads
I’m off to Brussels for the “Christmas markets” in dec to sample a few of the tipples at source.

Back