Hop Pellet Storage without vacuum?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeSheets

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm going to have an excess of hop pellets after my brew, but I don't have any vaccuum packing equipment. I'll probably use the rest in about 4-6 months.

Is there any quick storage fix to keep the remaining pellets or are they better chucking/cooking? I could also buy a cheap vaccuum solution this weekend if possible but I'm not sure what/where. I could go to the butcher and ask him to do it.. but I might get some funny looks!

Cheers,
ThreeSheets

Squeeze all the air you can out of the bag, reseal with a clip and chuck them in the freezer. They'll be fine.

Next step up is to stick them in a ziplock bag, stick a drinking straw in to the bag, seal up the bag (with the drinking straw still in it). Suck as much air out of the bag as you can, then whist still sucking, pull the straw out with your mouth whist simultaneously sealing the last part of the bag as the straw comes out. Then freeze.

I'm also using airtight Addis storage pots in the freezer. They're not a vacuum, but are airtight and stack easier in the freezer.

As AG has said freezing them in a ziplock with air squeezed out is good enough athumb..

If you're feeling adventurous, you can apparently reseal the silver hop bags with an iron (use baking paper between the iron and the bag to prevent it melting into your iron). I've never tried it though

I have squeezed the air out of the foil bags once open and folded them over then used a clip fastening bag.
Another tip is when opening the hops if you are not going to use them all is to open them at the bottom then the label is at the top when you reseal and can see what hops are in them etc

Its so simple but I can not claim the glory it is a tip I was given 100's of years ago :laugh8:

I used this method on a pound of amarillo that was still good close to five years later.
That's pretty good, the information in a few articles I've seen always gives the impression that leftovers degrade a lot quicker than they actually do without a full vaccuum

Three Sheets there is the experts who are not always fully correct, hops do degrade but if stored in a good way do last longer than they say and that is the real world. I think they let them degrade in normal conditions and not stored optimum in a freezer especially if this info come from hop sellers who want you to buy more-just a thought.
My other thoughts are if you buy fresh meat and put it in a freezer it is good for generally a year so why not hops that do not degrade anywhere near as fast as fresh meat?

You don't need a t posh one for several hundred pounds, i get mine from amazon for less than £40, but I heard aldi and lidl have them on offer sometimes.

Latest posts

Back