Hopping after primary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzypennel

Reaction score
I have a batch in secondary fermentation (10L of Chimay, OG ~1070)
I was short of hops when brewing and only managed to get 20g of AA6.8% into 90 minute boil and ~18g of AA3.0% in at 15 minutes.
This will take the EBU to ~20 whereas I need ~27. I have more hops now and was considering boiling them in some water for ~30 minutes, cooling and adding the liquid to the secondary ferm bin.

Does anybody have experience doing this or ideas about it?

All the best
Fuzzy

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately what you wish to do won't work, boiling in just water will not isomerise the alpha acids in the hops and thus won't add any bitterness.

You will need to add Isomerised hop extract available from homebrew shops. A word of warning though they are very powerful. I did it once and it did taste a bit artificial but after 6 months it had mellowed into a very nice brew.

:thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
You will need to add Isomerised hop extract available from homebrew shops. A word of warning though they are very powerful. I did it once and it did taste a bit artificial but after 6 months it had mellowed into a very nice brew.

:thumb: :thumb:

This little gem would have been useful to know a couple of weeks ago.

I've just done a Coopers APA and having read many a review that it lacked bitterness and flavour, I added 500g of Hopped Light DME. I boiled half of that for ten minutes with some Cascade (20g) and then added a further 20g of Galaxy for the final five of those in an effort to up the IBUs. It appears to have reached its FG already, so had a trial jar sample and was knocked back by the bitterness.

Presumably this is the Hopped DME at play? :wha:

Thanks for this advice

I'll get some isomerised extract

What about boiling the hops in the priming solution (100g cane sugar dissolved in 1 litre of water)?

Here's another question:

I added orange zest and hops 5 minutes after the boil stopped (element failure).

Now I'm concerned I might have introduce contamination.

Can anybody advise?

Back