How do I make sloe gin? Please help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banksy

Reaction score
Hi there, first time with this. Loads of conflicting recipes with varying quantities of sugar. How much should I use?

Also, picked 1350g sloes, all in freezer. How much should I make, and what is the best container to use?

Thanks guys!

I usually use 1lb sloes, 1/2lb sugar 1bottle of gin (1ltr).

Stick it in any glass container. Kilner jars are good, but I use demi-johns because I like to make a lot :-)

It doesn't have to be exact, just chuck it all in and if you like it do the same thing next year :-) If it is too sweet, less sugar (or double check it's sloes - not damsons :lol: ). Too dry, more sugar. Not enough like gin, more gin... you get the idea.

My first time too, I have 6lb of sloes in the freezer and have googled a few recipes, mainly sugar and sloes in varying proportions. One however uses 2-3 drops of almond essence per bottle and another uses a few cloves and a small cinnamon stick. Has anyone tried these variations...and how did they turn out?

I use almond essence and like the taste it adds.

If your are new to it I'd suggest starting with lower amounts of sugar, you can always taste and add more.

I use 1lb of sloes, 6 oz sugar, 1 bottle of gin and a couple of drops of almond essence. Multiply up depending on how many sloes you get / use. :thumb:

You can use the big plastic water bottles, IMO these are fine for the 2-3 months you want to keep the gin on the sloes, and then strain and bottle into glass.

It will be drinkable for Christmas, but will be much better for next Christmas, so make extra and you'll always have an old bottle about. :drunk:

Right! I tried some different recipes but it seems that the suggested weight of sloes and sugar does not leave much room at all for the gin. In the end I put 1350g of sloes and 675g of sugar into a demijon, then added 3L of gin. Job done for this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks folks :thumb:

Latest posts

Back