how do i stop my cider/wine ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gplategt

Reaction score
hay again people my cider based bev started at 1.073 (at 1.025 it was still nice and sweet i should have stopped it) anyhoo i kept it going and its at 0.999 today and its dry as expected, how would i go about stopping the fermentation ? and if i was to carbonate using sugar would it still carbonate with stopping the yeast ?

If you stop it it can't carbonate naturally - you stopped it.
The easiest way to get a sweet cider is to let it ferment right out and add some non-fermentable sweetener such as Splenda.
If you stop it fermenting out to keep it sweet, you have to carbonate artificially.

If you are wanting to carbonate then you need do nothing apart from rack and bottle and add table sugar for carbonation. To make it sweeter you will have to add a non fermentable sugar like Splenda. If you want it still, then add 1 campden tablet and 1 tsp potassium sorbate per gallon. That will stop the fermentation. YOU NEED TO ADD BOTH if you are adding pot sorb. Once you have added that, degas and leave it to settle for a few days. Then rack and bottle. You can add table sugar at that point if you want it sweeter rather than Splenda as the yeast have been stopped and won't re ferment. If you have the means you could re carbonate with CO2 to make it fizzy.

If you stop it fermenting out to keep it sweet, you have to carbonate artificially.[/quote]

thanks i will get some splenda, tho i do like it the way it is. i will age it 1st and see what its like but i did enjoy the sweet sip i had when it was 1.024, could i possibly add splenda right at the end or dose it have to mature with the cider/wine

Latest posts

Back