How long will wine last with NovaTwist screw caps?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry454

Reaction score
Just curious on these NovaTwist screw caps that everyone seems to love on here.

https://www.novatwist.com/uk/home.html
I already have 180+ bottles of winexpert reserve kits all sealed with NovaTwist screw caps. They are all red wine. So far they're working great but they have only been in bottles about 6 months

I have another 7 x 30 bottle Winexpert kits to bottle up. That'll be another 210 bottles of wine. Again all red!

The goal here is to long term age these wines for at least 2 years probably more.

My main concern is, will long term aging of red wine work with the nova twist screw caps? They are plastic afterall. We all know what happens to a bottle of red if it's left in plastic bottles for a year. Does the same hold true for the NovaTwist caps with glass bottles or are these caps really suitable for long term wine storage?

I think wine in a glass bottle with a plastic cap will keep far longer than wine in a plastic bottle.

I think wine in a glass bottle with a plastic cap will keep far longer than wine in a plastic bottle.

Thanks Chippy. I guess the question is how long is longer.. as in could I get 2-4 years out of them?

If anyone has any real world experience to share I'd like to hear I know you drink your The Range kits pretty quickly Chippy so I'm imagining you haven't used them to age a bottle.

The NovaTwist screw caps do have a sort of white disk on the inside. I wonder if this liner prevents oxygen exchange through the plastic?

I can say that Novatwist are good for 12 months, as that's the longest I've been able to keep any! I age my wine in demijohns and then bottle. I can also attest to them being reusable, I've not done a count per cap, but at least half a dozen refills, maybe a few more for some.

Thanks everyone I've definitely decided on the NovaTwist caps for all my bottles!

Just a quick question, do you store your bottles flat or vertically? Just curious if this changes the shelf life with the NovaTwist caps!

You can do either I normally store mine upright in crates but do keep some on a wine rack. If I am correct they are only stored on their sides when using corks to keep them wet so they do not dry out and leak I beleive 🎅

Upright in bottom kitchen cupboard when ageing or storing then on side in the fridge when cooling before drimking

Thanks everyone I've definitely decided on the NovaTwist caps for all my bottles!

Just a quick question, do you store your bottles flat or vertically? Just curious if this changes the shelf life with the NovaTwist caps!
As @the baron says the reason for storing bottles on their side is to keep the cork wet, if you don't have a cork then store as you wish. The main consideration would be to keep them at a steady lowish temperature and in the dark.

My 2.5 year old elderberry was fine on the last bottle I tried. It's in old wine bottles with their original screw caps, I'm guessing these can only be worse than new NovaTwist ones??

I'll crack one open at the weekend, I'll let the new year's guests think it's just for them when it's actually for Science, and let you know how it's holding up.

Back