how long

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajt24

Reaction score
Im doing a wilko merlot which has been fermenting nicely for about 2weeks now (not the 7 days stated in the instruction) anyway i didnt take a hydro reading and the air lock has been level for 2 days now, how long should i leave it or should i go the next stage.

im still learning and my paitence is getting better :D

I realise that you didn't take a hydro reading, but have you got a hydrometer now? If so that will tell you if it is done. If you haven't got one, get one and if you have no intention of getting one have a taste. If it tastes sweet it isn't done.

Matt

i do have one, am i looking for the readings to be the same on 3 consecutive days,
i quite like the idea of a little taste, so sweet taste and its ready
thanks

Sweet taste, isn't done. The thing is, it is up to you when it is done. You can stop the process at any time with the fermentation stopper that would have been included in the kit. I am sure the instructions will recommend the final hydrometer reading .990ish but if you want to stop it a bit earlier and have it a bit sweeter, it is up to you.

Matt

ajt24 said:
i do have one, am i looking for the readings to be the same on 3 consecutive days,

If you don't intend to sterilise your hydrometer and test jar don't put the wine back in the DJ. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back