how much dextrose to carbonate Coopers stout in pressure barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nial

Reaction score
As the title asks, we're away on holiday tomorrow and I don't have time to bottle this so I'm going to stick it in a pressure barrel.

Any input (and directions where to find the answer for future reference) greatfully received.

Thanks,

Nial.

90 grams should be good

I agree, especially at this time of the year when it is nice and warm and you will be away on holiday.

To double check though I suggest that you use this calculator ...

http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

... because a lot depends on how much you want to carbonate your brew.

Check out the bottom list for "Carbonation Guidelines by style" to see what is "normal".

Double check that the keg doesn't have any leaks before you go ...

... and then have a great holiday 'cos at least you'll have a pint waiting for you when you get back! :thumb: :thumb:

I agree with 85- 90g. I don't put any more in PBs since it may stress the barrel and even more will blow the RV. You will still get a lovely creamy head on the pint when fully carbed.
I also agree with making sure the PB is sealed before you go.
The two Coopers Stout I've done were drinkable after four days, which is unusual, but nonetheless the case. They had a fruitiness which mellowed with time.
Happy hols.

You may want to test your seal by adding a c02 bulb as your not home to check it

Great, thanks for the feedback guys.

It's been in the FV for 3 weeks and we're away on holiday for 3 weeks.

This might be my first homebrew that's had enough time to mature!

Nial.

Latest posts

Back