How much did you pay for your first pint?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't a clue about the price but it was 1975 my grandfather bought me a pint and this was it, you couldn't get away with that now. (the label not your grandfather buying you a drink) :lol:

$_35.JPG

The Double Diamond label brought back memories of a brilliant night out about the same time, when "Young and stupid." more or less summed up my attitude to life. (As opposed to the "Old and stupid." currently in place!)

A mate and I went out to a night-club with our wives and with constant dancing and "bar-snacks" we managed to stay upright as we sank 18 pints of DD each before chucking out time at 3am.

The wives then drove us home where we knocked up a few chip-butties and, after a quick shower and a change of clothes, we both turned up for work at 7am ... :thumb: :thumb:

... where we were in sole charge of +/-20% of the UK's natural gas production! :doh: :doh:

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

I remember McEwans but was not a bitter man, i am now but that's because of my my age nothing to do with drink. :wink:

Sorry my mistake, just remembered it was Youngers Tartan, not McEwans still made by S&N and it was not a bitter anyway more like dishwater but I was only 16/17 so didn't know any better.
I can't believe what they used to classify as beers in those days!

I have to say although the metric ����£ is much more sensible, the standard of mathematics plummeted after it's introduction. The bane of my life in primary school was long division of pounds shillings and pence !!!

Hard to believe, but the original Imperial Measures were designed so that the main measure could be easily divided into whole parts without the need for fractions or decimal points.

If you take the 240 pence in the old pound you could share it out in:

o 2 parts
o 3 parts
o 4 parts
o 5 parts
o 6 parts
o 8 parts
o 10 parts
o 12 parts
o 15 parts
o 16 parts
o 20 parts
o 24 parts
o 30 parts
o 30 parts
o 40 parts
o 60 parts

etc etc etc

... and still finish up with whole numbers.

Try that with the 100 pence in the current pound and you get:

o 2 parts
o 4 parts
o 5 parts
o 10 parts
o 20 parts
o 50 parts

... and then you are into decimal points.

The Imperial system of length, weight and volume was identical in that it could be divided by many numbers without having to resort to fractions or decimal points.

It wasn't as daft as it looked! :thumb: :thumb:

The Double Diamond label brought back memories of a brilliant night out about the same time, when "Young and stupid." more or less summed up my attitude to life. (As opposed to the "Old and stupid." currently in place!)

A mate and I went out to a night-club with our wives and with constant dancing and "bar-snacks" we managed to stay upright as we sank 18 pints of DD each before chucking out time at 3am.

The wives then drove us home where we knocked up a few chip-butties and, after a quick shower and a change of clothes, we both turned up for work at 7am ... :thumb: :thumb:

... where we were in sole charge of +/-20% of the UK's natural gas production! :doh: :doh:

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

I still remember the TV advert for this to the tune of "theres a hole in my bucket.
"A double diamond works wonders, works wonders"
A double diamond works wonders so drink one today

It's funny how I can still remember the tune and words to most of the 70's beer adverts;-

"Whitbread, bighead, Trophy bitter, the pint that thinks its a quart
It's got the body , the body that satisfies
It can't be modest no matter how it tries....

...and I still didn't like it or buy it!

Just found it on Youtube just as I remembered. Ha!

Hard to believe, but the original Imperial Measures were designed so that the main measure could be easily divided into whole parts without the need for fractions or decimal points.

If you take the 240 pence in the old pound you could share it out in:

o 2 parts
o 3 parts
o 4 parts
o 5 parts
o 6 parts
o 8 parts
o 10 parts
o 12 parts
o 15 parts
o 16 parts
o 20 parts
o 24 parts
o 30 parts
o 30 parts
o 40 parts
o 60 parts

etc etc etc

... and still finish up with whole numbers.

Try that with the 100 pence in the current pound and you get:

o 2 parts
o 4 parts
o 5 parts
o 10 parts
o 20 parts
o 50 parts

... and then you are into decimal points.

The Imperial system of length, weight and volume was identical in that it could be divided by many numbers without having to resort to fractions or decimal points.

It wasn't as daft as it looked! :thumb: :thumb:
This came from the Arabic world, where it was easier to cut a small ingot of precious metal into many more equal parts:thumb:

Here's another useless bit of information from the Arab world.

Arabic numerals (i.e. the ones we use all the time) have the same number of acute or right-angle angles in them as the number indicates.

This is why on the Continent the number one is written with a "hook" at the top (the hook is still there even on this computer - 1).

The number two is written as a Z so that's easy to demonstrate.

The number seven has the hook at the top (for one angle) the cross in the middle (for four angles) and a foot (for two angles) giving a total of seven.

The easiest to explain is the number eight - but it has to be drawn like two boxes sat on top of each other to get the eight right angles.

Enjoy figuring them all out ... :thumb: :thumb:

... number nine can be a bit difficult! :whistle: :whistle:

My first beer in a pub was a 'swift half' of Worthington bitter. It cost 9p (old money), in 1963. The pub has long since gone. But although the beer was nothing special I can still remember how it tasted.
My real drinking started as a student in Sheffield the late 60s. Mostly Tennants (with an 'a' and not to be confused with Tennents from Scotland) a local Sheffield brewery now gone, or Tetleys, usually about 1/10p a pint.
The cheapest beer I remember was a pint of mild in Stoke in 1970 which was 1/5p.
Double Diamond:- My old Dad used to get two bottles of Double Diamond per day as his allowance from the brewery in Burton for a time, but since he didn't drink very much I used to have to force it down. :whistle:. But as for keg Double Diamond it was syrupy sweet. It was truly awful stuff.
Finally, TV adverts. Anyone remember Stanley Unwin- "For the best picket in a brew flade, pick Flowers" (whatever that meant), and of course to those who lived in the Midlands, 'Beer at Home means Davenports'
Ramble over...

For anyone too young to remember Stanley Unwin and knows the Fairy Tale of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" try this ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRv35Ig2mg[/ame]

... to get an insight!

The really stupid thing about Stanley Unwin was that some of us actually knew what he was saying ...

... especially after a few beers! Enjoy! :thumb:

No doubt the first alcohol drink I bought was in a shop.

I remember when I was 16 going out to the local night club and me and my mates would drink Newcastle Brown because it was the cheapest and biggest bottles. I also remember the uproar when the rugby club put their prices up 5p to £1.05 a pint. I remember when I left the area in 2006 it was still £1.50 a pint.

No idea, I didn't take note of the price.

I'm guessing it was about 2 quid.

I still remember the TV advert for this to the tune of "theres a hole in my bucket.
"A double diamond works wonders, works wonders"
A double diamond works wonders so drink one today

It's funny how I can still remember the tune and words to most of the 70's beer adverts;-

"Whitbread, bighead, Trophy bitter, the pint that thinks its a quart
It's got the body , the body that satisfies
It can't be modest no matter how it tries....

...and I still didn't like it or buy it!

Just found it on Youtube just as I remembered. Ha!

Do you remember those McEwan's Best Scotch ads? There was an American themed one and a Russian themed one: "Floridas horribler than Whitley Bay, nee McEwans Best Scotch in the USA..." and "bye bye Vladivostok, hallo Tyne and Wear, Russia? Nice place, shame about the beer"

I loved those adverts and can still remember all the words to the songs. :lol:

Do you remember those McEwan's Best Scotch ads? There was an American themed one and a Russian themed one: "Floridas horribler than Whitley Bay, nee McEwans Best Scotch in the USA..." and "bye bye Vladivostok, hallo Tyne and Wear, Russia? Nice place, shame about the beer"

I loved those adverts and can still remember all the words to the songs. :lol:

I saw the one last week where the soldier comes back on "Compassionate leave harry" followed by two redcaps,"would your mates like a drink? says the barman
filmed in the Bridge Hotel in Newcastle.

Best Scotch the one you've got to come back for!

I am only here for the beer is the one that i remember most -

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3F2vEjw0m0[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRklsYZaxeQ[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TGCrBE3JvY[/ame]

I wish our beer adverts were this funny -

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EJaZ4nm9E[/ame]

Mmmmm its a long time ago when i had my first pint-1967 ish, guessing around Two bob:D
When we first went up to West Midlands on our annual fishing holidays ,circa 1989 we were golloping Banks's down at what was astonishing prices to us suverners:lol:
We were invited to watch footie in a working mens club up there once, again around early 90's-70p or thereabouts a pint:lol::thumb:

It was free for me and tasted ****e...Youngs Special..1969 ish

Back