How much priming sugar for kegging a stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hong

Reaction score
As above, just about to keg my Coopers stout but not sure how much sugar for the keg. Also, gonna bottle a few. So about 1tsp of sugar per bottle?

hong said:
As above, just about to keg my Coopers stout but not sure how much sugar for the keg. Also, gonna bottle a few. So about 1tsp of sugar per bottle?

What kind of keg is it? I think the norm for most king-keg style kegs is 80g. Any more than that and the pressure will be lost anyway. Should be ideal for a stout.

1tsp of sugar per bottle might be too much if it's 500ml bottles you are using. Stouts have a lot of body so won't need anywhere near as much fizz to keep the head etc. Around 3g per pint would be plenty, I would imagine.

100g is the usual amount for a keg. Or 1/2 tsp a bottle. I use nearer a full teaspoon and they haven't exploded yet.

winelight said:
100g is the usual amount for a keg. Or 1/2 tsp a bottle. I use nearer a full teaspoon and they haven't exploded yet.

A full teaspoon with a stout? It's not exploding you need to worry about, it's stout stained carpet when they get opened ;)

I've never known anyone to recommend 100g with a keg. I've always bottled, just going with what has been said on here.

100g is what it says in the kits, but that doesn't mean it's right :)

In fact, the last time I kegged a beer it was way too fizzy, that could be why.

winelight said:
100g is what it says in the kits, but that doesn't mean it's right :)

In fact, the last time I kegged a beer it was way too fizzy, that could be why.

It's good that you've managed to get fizzy from your keg, as normally they don't hold enough pressure to get anything but the lightest of fizz and just enough to pour. As I understand it the reason for around 80g is that the amount of pressure created by such a quantity is the approx amount of pressure standard kegs hold before venting off. If you used 160g of sugar it would still create the same amount of pressure as anything generated after the set pressure will simply be vented.

If you have a keg with a better seal you can increase the quantity of sugar and thus the CO2 in the brew.

It all adds to the ABV though :D

I read somewhere, can't recall where, that if you keg a stout after about 6/7 days in primary and allow it to finish fermenting in the keg that you won't need any priming sugar at all.

I was only going to try this in an attempt to speed up my stout as I want it drinkable for March 17th. Any thoughts?

Markus said:
I read somewhere, can't recall where, that if you keg a stout after about 6/7 days in primary and allow it to finish fermenting in the keg that you won't need any priming sugar at all.

I was only going to try this in an attempt to speed up my stout as I want it drinkable for March 17th. Any thoughts?

Another 80g of sugar isn't going to make too much of a difference in 23l anyway.
Most kegs have a pressure relief valve so you are pretty much limited to 10psi max which has never been overly fizzy for me.
You could just dump your stout straight in the keg and pressurise with CO2 if you wanted.

Latest posts

Back