How much sugar in a damson wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can someone give me a clue how much more sugar I should add to this to make a 14%ish medium Wine. I had no idea what I was doing so just threw this together.
I took out stones and froze the damson ended up with 900g
Chucked em in a pan with 800g sugar and about a litre of water boiled for ten mins.
Cooled and into a dj with 1tsp pectalase 1tsp yeast nutrient 1tsp wine yeast.
OG was 1.084 and its fermenting away nicely after about 3days my plan was to top up with red grape juice and some sugar but no idea how much to add.

These pics might help

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

Well I don't make a lot of wine but I can do maths so let's work this through.

You've got approximately 3.5L at 1.084 which is equivalent to 4.5L at about 1.065. If you want medium you'll want to stop fermentation at around 1.005 so for 14% you need an OG about 1.110, so you're 45 points short. According to BeerSmith in 4.5L you need about 500g of sugar for that, of which 150g will come from your juice so you need another 350g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help Ajhutch. I've done just as you said but ended up with a pint over, fancy doing some more maths? I don't know where to start.

DSC_0765.jpg

DSC_0766.jpg

Ok so if you actually started with 3.9 and added 600ml of juice say. By my calculations that leaves you at 1.073 OG at 4.5L, needing 37 points or 410g of sugar. 90 came from 600ml of juice so 320g needed. So if you've already added 350g you're only a few points over.

Back