How much sugar needed for carbonation...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a sugar solution and a syringe. That way at least I know there's exactly the same amount of sugar in every bottle. It's not the only variable; ambient temp and other factors are going to come into it, but I figure, at least, control accurately the the part you can control. As time goes on and I refine my process, I'm finding I'm using less and less priming sugar to get the desired results. Nowadays going with around 2.3-2.5 g per bottle for stouts and weisses, and around 1.7-1.9 g per bottle for bitters.

I only do extract kits at the moment. I’ve done a number of the Mangrove Jacks kits, Dark Rock, Festival, St Peter’s etc. I moved to sugar sticks because I sometimes noticed inconsistent carbonation when batch priming. One sugar stick per bottle is perfect for me - never had an issue with sugar not dissolving - 2 weeks at 20C for secondary fermentation and then a month in the shed and they’re good to go.
Fantastic idea, il give it a try!

Ref dissolving, I think sugar will dissolve in most liquids in seconds not to mention one with yeast in.

I make up sugar solution then tip in keg. Purge keg. Transfer from fermenter to keg. Bottle from keg. I use Boel tap. Closed transfer. Batch prime. Sugar solution is demerera sugar and boiling water. Amount sugar per calculator. I use brewfather. 2.4 vols 5.094g per litre of beer

Back