How much yeast do you use in a 23L FV?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWoolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As per the title,
I have done a few WOW's now in DJ's and the the little lady has given the green light to start mass producing as suppply is not keeping up with demand :drunk:

How much yeast do you guys add into FV, been using 1 tsp in a DJ but think that 5 tsp will be overkill?

well your after in excess of 20 billion live cells for an optimum pitch @ circa 5 (real) gallons iirc.

now a gram of dried yeast should contain circa 20 billion cells, however not all will be viable and if you dont hydrate the yeast prior to pitching you will be lucky if 50% of the viable cells survive the pitch.

i think if kept in a vacuum seal in packs dry yeast will remain viable for a good while, but if exposed to the air and atmospheric moisture it will deteriorate rapidly ..

hence the pack size of 10-11g and advice to hydrate ;)

When I first started I was advised 3 teaspoons is enough so that is how much I have always used with no problem (I also add 5 teaspoons of nutrient) if you want to be 100% sure use 5 teaspoons.

Latest posts

Back