How to pronounce Kveik?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyuptm

Regular.
Reaction score
Might sound like a dumb question, but how is Kviev pronounced? Is it Kwak? Sorry if it's a stupid question!!

It's kuh-vike. Rhymes with bike, stress on the second syllable.

Source - I asked Lars Marius Garshol if I was pronouncing it properly and he said I was spot on

Last edited by a moderator:
I pronounce it 'ker-vey-ik' or if I'm talking quickly it comes out as 'k-vey-ik' so less pronunciation in the first part of the work reducing the 'ker' to 'k'.

No idea if its correct or not but people seem to get the gist.

I put it into Google translate as Norwegian and played the audio... sounds like "kvike" but the v is soft a bit like a w
The guy in the video says it several times is this not how its pronounced?

For the purposes of English pronunciation (in the same way that we don't pronounce Paris like the French do) then just rhyme it with "bike" or "dyke", so "kvyke".

Listening to various Norwegians including Lars, they pronounce it as a bit more than a single syllable, but less than two so it's going towards "kuh-vyke" with the stress on the "vy" of the second part, and the "kuh" is only a half-syllable. And then there's a slight hint of a quarter-syllable at the end, the "ike" sound finishes with a whisper of an "ick" sound - but really no more than a hint.

1689788460764.png
"What?"

I used to say kv-ick but it appears from the following that it should be kiv-ike, with the first i as a quick 'i' as in pick, but can be pronounce like a contracted 'a' like cave.

Latest posts

Back