Hudson 1984 Home bar - Bar top Material

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson1984

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

so the home bar is coming along.

I'm after some suggestions on a Bar top, I've used some old worktop I had and bodged it in. It's not fitted very well - it's secure but not neat - and I need an overhang for the stools but rather than buy another kitchen worktop I was wondering if anyone had any different suggestions?

1610357197033.png

This is where I've got to. Still need to adjust the door frame for the door. When I build the wall, I had a workshop on the other side, however since brewing I haven't really made anything so instead of an opening, I'm putting the door in.

Few other jobs left to do, need to remove the punchbag mount in the ceiling, finish the plastering, cover the right hand wall, probably put a cupboard or two below the dart board, get some doors on the cupboards, and stick some shelves up. But it's getting there. The area where I was stood taking the photo is more of the lounge area, so sofa, playstation, piano etc. I'm pleased how it's coming along but I want a decent bar top to "serve" from.

any suggestions? stick to kitchen worktop or go another route? I will be getting a carpenter to do it as I'm ok at DIY but I don't have the jigs etc to do a worktop and they cost as much as the labour will!

Yeah I agree.... I know in my head if I got some worktop I'd regret it down the line.

have to speak to some chippys I guess....might not tell the wife...

Get some scaffold boards and sand wax or varnish. Done this on mine and also made a dining room table with them on sewing machine treadle bases. If you wax it, it will go antique pine yellow colour reasonably quickly

Get some scaffold boards and sand wax or varnish. Done this on mine and also made a dining room table with them on sewing machine treadle bases. If you wax it, it will go antique pine yellow colour reasonably quickly

interestingly the brother in law does the same, suggested he only pays a fiver a plank! So i'm going to give that a bash, plus it means I can make some shelves to match.

so yeah, think i'll go that route. Prepped the old man to join the boards as he's got a thicknesser, whilst I don't want to wreck the look of the boards, I want it at least reasonably flat and reasonably gap free.

Back