I am dumb. Added both finings sachets at the same time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixel

Reaction score
but was supposed to leave 24 hours in between.

Am I in trouble or will I just need to wait a bit longer for the wine to clear? How long?

[edit: 1st sachet was kieselsol 2nd sachet was chitosan]

Also, does anyone not bother with the kit finings and prefer to leave to clear naturally (for example to avoid unecessary chemicals?)

Many thanks again for any help, much appreciated by this idiot who forgot to RTFM :thumb:

Dunno what effect doing that will have.

Doing country wines and weirdy stuff rather than kits, I have to buy finings separately, so I only use them if stuff still isn't clear a couple of months after stabilising.

You will probably be okay. But it may take a bit longer to clear. The reason you add at different times is to allow the different clearing agents to start the process of clumping the matter. The chitosan starts the process and then the kieselsol finishes it off.

I did the same with one of my brews.........
Came out just the same as if I had left 24 hours between them.
:thumb:

many thanks for the helpful feedback, hopefully I will be drinking some homebrew this weekend after all :cheers:

(though I know I need to let most of it be for a week or two to improve :mrgreen: )

Latest posts

Back