I have found all my old recipes and I do mean OLD!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotation

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having been out of the brewing game for a number of years.............more years than I care to remember I have returned to the fold. I`m not fully functional yet but at last I`ve found all my old recipes stored in the attic. I will post a few in the next few days and if it is of interest to anyone I will post more. I must have about 700 recipes but please remember my equipment then is nothing like you use now.

Having been out of the brewing game for a number of years.............more years than I care to remember I have returned to the fold. I`m not fully functional yet but at last I`ve found all my old recipes stored in the attic. I will post a few in the next few days and if it is of interest to anyone I will post more. I must have about 700 recipes but please remember my equipment then is nothing like you use now.
Yes please. I'm new to grain brewing - so some simple ones to start with would be appreciated

Matt

Well, I use a perforated plastic bucket and standard cooking utensils, and I started in 2015. The only high tech I have is my pH meter. I use digital thermometers, but I could as well use standard thermometers (which I did in the beginning).

The people I know love my beers (they ask for it, I don't have to impose it on them).

RUDDLES COUNTY BITTER

23ltrs

OG 1050

3875gm Crushed Pale Malt

250gm Crushed Crystal Malt

15ltrs Water

1tsp Irish Moss

500gm Invert Sugar

30gm Molasses

2tsp Brewers Caramel

60gm Fuggles Hops

60gm Golding Hops

60gm Yeast

15gm Geletine

60gm Brown Sugar

100gm Priming Sugar

• Heat the water temp to 60C and stir in crushed malts.
  • Stirring continuously raise the water temp to 66C and leave for 1.5hrs making any adjustments to keep the temp at 66C
  • Pour off the wort into a large pan or boiler leaving the malt grains behind.
  • Sparge the grains with a further 5ltrs of 70C water and add to the boiling pan or boiler until you have 20ltrs altogether.
  • Boil the wort with the Fuggles hops and 45gm of the Golding hops for 1.5hrs. Dissolve the main batch of sugar, molassis and caramel in a little hot water and add to the boil. Also add the Irish Moss.
  • After 1.5hrs switch off the heat and add the remaining 15gm of golding hops and leave them to soak for 15mins.
  • Strain off the wort into an FV and top up to 23ltrs with cold water and leave until the temp reduces to 20 – 22C.
  • When cooled add the yeast and ferment until the SG reaches 1.015. Rack into 25ltr polythene cube and add the gelatine. Fit an airlock to the polythene cube and leave to settle for 7 days.
  • After 7 days rack the beer off into a primed pressure barrel and leave for a further 7 days before drinking.

To be honest if I remember correctly at stage 9 I had sampled most of the beer, strictly for quality control reasons you understand!

PLEASE BE ASSURED THAT NO YEAST WERE HARMED AT ANY STAGE OF THIS PROCESS.

Doesn't seem a million miles removed from current processes.

30 gram of molasses seems an awful lot for such a light beer. I once attempted a St.-Bernardus 12 clone, and added 50 gram of molasses, and it was on the threshold of being too much liquorice. Luckily it got less in time.

Nothing surprises me anymore. I once made a gallon of wine out of Ribena naively thinking I would produce Red wine of course. In fact I produced 6 bottles of the nicest tasting White wine its been my pleasure to drink.

Life`s strange sometimes.
Really.
I find it makes a dark Rosé.
That's if you can get modern ribena to ferment at all with all the potassium sorbate in it.

COURAGE RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT

10ltrs

OG 1103

3000gm Crushed Pale Malt

125gm Crushed Chocolate Malt

125gm Crushed Black Malt

15ltrs Water

500gm Soft Dark Brown Sugar

100gm Fuggles Hops

15gm Wine Yeast

60gm Brown Sugar

.5tsp White Sugar

• Stirring continuously raise the water temp to 66C and leave for 1.5hrs making any adjustments to keep the temp at 66C
  • Sparge the grains with a further 5ltrs of 70C water and add to the boiling pan or boiler until you have 16ltrs altogether.
  • Boil the wort with the Fuggles hops with the sugar dissolved in a little water until the volume has been reduced to10ltrs.
  • Collect the wort into a polythene cube and let it cool.
  • When cooled add the wine yeast and ferment. It will take several months to complete fermentation
  • After fermentation is complete rack off the beer taking a minute amount of the yeast sediment with it.
  • Store for six months before bottling into primed bottles.
  • Mature for 18 months before drinking.

I just love this recipe……. Yes it tastes unbelievable but teaches patience.

PLEASE BE ASSURED THAT NO YEAST WERE HARMED AT ANY STAGE OF THIS PROCESS

RUDDLES COUNTY BITTER

23ltrs

OG 1050

3875gm Crushed Pale Malt

15ltrs Water

1tsp Irish Moss

500gm Invert Sugar

30gm Molasses

2tsp Brewers Caramel

60gm Fuggles Hops

60gm Golding Hops

60gm Yeast

15gm Geletine

60gm Brown Sugar

100gm Priming Sugar

• Sparge the grains with a further 5ltrs of 70C water and add to the boiling pan or boiler until you have 20ltrs altogether.
  • Boil the wort with the Fuggles hops and 45gm of the Golding hops for 1.5hrs. Dissolve the main batch of sugar, molassis and caramel in a little hot water and add to the boil. Also add the Irish Moss.
  • After 1.5hrs switch off the heat and add the remaining 15gm of golding hops and leave them to soak for 15mins.
  • Strain off the wort into an FV and top up to 23ltrs with cold water and leave until the temp reduces to 20 – 22C.
  • When cooled add the yeast and ferment until the SG reaches 1.015. Rack into 25ltr polythene cube and add the gelatine. Fit an airlock to the polythene cube and leave to settle for 7 days.
  • After 7 days rack the beer off into a primed pressure barrel and leave for a further 7 days before drinking.

To be honest if I remember correctly at stage 9 I had sampled most of the beer, strictly for quality control reasons you understand!

PLEASE BE ASSURED THAT NO YEAST WERE HARMED AT ANY STAGE OF THIS PROCESS.
60 gm of yeast ?

Remember young padowan, in my day apart from a few selected wine strain yeasts which were very expensive, most homebrew beer yeast was just dried bakers yeast. It wasn`t sold in sealed packets and was a little hit and miss.

When I developed and grew wiser I reconstituted my yeast and still do now, from bottled conditioned beer like Worthington White Shield and Guinness.

Latest posts

Back