IBD General Certificate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anybody completed the IBD General Certificate in Brewing course? If so, how was it? Any details or opinions most welcome.

When and where are you thinking of doing the course? I'm aiming for London in September.

Hey!

Currently studying for General Certificate!

Did you ever go for it?

Hi I completed this last year through work. I might have some sample study material and maybe even some mock multiple choose exams. There are some sections which would not benefit the home brewer (maintenance, quality systems, CIP,environment,water, gases, micro etc.) but the overall front end of the program which looks at the actual brewing process (beer types, malting, wort production and management, yeast and fermentation, maturation/storage, flavor and cask/craft) is really interesting.

There are 20 sections I think overall. The exam requires you get around 80% to pass (might be slightly less) and is now completed at set examination centers.

I would say tho, It is a really good grounding for learning about the brewing process (if not a little OTT for home brewers). So if you don't mind paying for it give it a go. It does require a good amount of study to learn the material, which can be a bit technical in places. I would maybe look at doing a home brew course at one of the various places around the UK unless you intend on moving into the brewing profession or even starting up your own brewery.

I did the Brewlab 9 week Diploma course and that was fairly rigorous and we were told that the IBD requires more detail and a deeper understanding of topics. It is recognised by more chains (tesco, M&S etc) when they are looking at Training certs for potential suppliers of bottles and cans.

Currently studying for General Cert (while on the job so a bit tricky finding the motivation after a long day) I was hoping someone might have a line on where to get past papers? It's a great way to revise but there doesnt seem to be much around. The IBD offers a paltry 9 question sample paper, more is required I think!

Latest posts

Back