If it can happen it will happen Part Deux the AG Saga...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I just used a Muslin cloth soaked with Starsan... It worked for 30 seconds then clogged the cloth I need to rectify this in future somehow...

Pellet hops are good but they are hard to filter quickly and cleanly...

I don't worry about this at all. In the FV, hops and trub just sink to the bottom in the second week of the fermentation and by day 14, you have a pretty solid deposit on the bottom. It is easy to rack the beer off this, even if you have a thick deposit. When it gets near the end of the racking off, gently tilt the fv towards the racking tube and you can extract all but the last pint or two of your beer off the trub. works every time. Beer goes crystal clear in the bottle with a fine yeast deposit on the bottom after 7 days in a warmish environment (20c). One of my best received beers was boiled in a 12l stockpot and after cooling, I just pitched the yeast straight into the pot and covered the top with clingfilm and put the lid on for a fortnight.

Beer has been brewed long before sanitising, sanitising is a low effort way to be sure you're not going to end up with an infection.

As long as fermentation got off to a speedy start it'll be fine.

It's interesting to read how people strain the hops out, I use an ordinary (sanitised) kitchen sieve over the fv, and scoop the wort out of the boiler with a sanitised jug, I use the bottom of the jusg to squeeze the wort out of the hops when the sieve gets full, then empty it and carry on.

No need to worry about filtering the wort too much, any leftovers settle in the trub during fermentation anyway, and allowing a week after bubbling stops or slows right down really helps all the **** settle out. I'm starting to end up with only a very fine film of sediment in my bottles when drinking!

Pouring also helps with aerating the wort, which I do by half filling 2 fv's, give it a good shake then pour it into one together.

Works for me..!

Beer has been brewed long before sanitising, sanitising is a low effort way to be sure you're not going to end up with an infection.

As long as fermentation got off to a speedy start it'll be fine.

It's interesting to read how people strain the hops out, I use an ordinary (sanitised) kitchen sieve over the fv, and scoop the wort out of the boiler with a sanitised jug, I use the bottom of the jusg to squeeze the wort out of the hops when the sieve gets full, then empty it and carry on.

No need to worry about filtering the wort too much, any leftovers settle in the trub during fermentation anyway, and allowing a week after bubbling stops or slows right down really helps all the **** settle out. I'm starting to end up with only a very fine film of sediment in my bottles when drinking!

Pouring also helps with aerating the wort, which I do by half filling 2 fv's, give it a good shake then pour it into one together.

Works for me..!

Well said.

Latest posts

Back