If you go down to the tip today...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
... you could get accosted by a very strange man.

It's a nice day, we had quite a bit of rubbish stacked down the side of the house, so I thought it was time I took a run to the local tip.

Dumped my cardboard boxes, assorted wood and metal and a small amount of general landfill and then couldn't help noticing that the woman who had parked alongside me threw away the tops of some big plastic bottles.

So there's me in my Sunday best (grubby jeans, haven't shaved since Friday), and I said “excuse me, I couldn't help noticing (etc., etc.), do you mind me asking where you get those big bottles from, only I make my own wine and I've been trying to get hold of some big bottles for ages.”

She said “Oh, they are water cooler bottles from the office, I cut the tops off and use the bottoms for plant tubs.”

I thought “WHAAAAT!!!!???? Those things are deposit-paid, sell for stupid money on eBay and you cut them up for plant tubs!!!” :eek:

I said “Oh yes, I've been looking for those water cooler bottles but they are deposit-paid and get exchanged for full ones.” :(

She said “Oh no, these get thrown away.

I thought “Hang on, are these those JustEau bottles which Asda sell, for the coolers which Staples sell, only I've tried to get some of those from Asda and they are out of stock, or possibly discontinued as they seem to have been dropped from the website?”

She said “How many do you want? I think I've got 3 or 4 in my garage.’

I thought “Close your mouth Mole or you'll look like a proper phukwit.”

I said “Well I would really appreciate one or two.”

She said “I've finished here, do you want to follow me?”

I followed her home. While I parked she disappeared into her garage.
She came out with SIX ‘JustEau’water cooler bottles.
I wanted to hug her.
I've brought them home and worked out how to get the tops off.
Two were crunched beyond salvation, four seemed perfect.
Using the two knackers to practice getting the tops off, I removed tops and cleaned/sterilised the remaining four. One was punctured.
Even so, I now have three cleaned, sterilised, good-to-go 15 litre carboys. :)
Young's fermenters are fine, but you can't see through them when wine is racked, fined and clearing.
Wurzel capacity has just increased by 45 litres!
Thank you Mrs. Woman, whoever you are.

What's more, I said I'd drop off a couple of bottles of wine next time I was passing that way, and she said she might have more big empties by then.

Now then, 15 litres, that's three-and-a-bit gallons, I reckon 4L grape juice, 3L orange juice, 3kg sugar, will post pics when I've sussed out my new phone's camera.

Nice one M :thumb:
We've got some at work for the cooler (Eden), might borrow one for wine, nice idea.
Think the deposit is a fiver!

How do you get an airlock to fill the large neck?

Bottled%20Water%20Cooler.png

BarnsleyBrewer said:
How do you get an airlock to fill the large neck?
These have a pull-tab which rips around most of the top, then if you prise off what's left of the top it will still re-fit with a positive click. That leaves something like a 20mm diameter hole in the blue plastic lid, so I've whittled down a standard drilled rubber bung to fit that.

Nice one Moley, I looked at them before I built my brewery, a friend of mine now supplies me with the empty 20ltr honey tubs he imports in, the smell when I get them is unreal, you may have a regular supplier there if you look after her (not in that way :D )
Bru

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Hope she didn't (did ;) )take advantage of you on a warm sunny day.
It happened exactly as I've reported it, nothing more, and there was another car on their drive when we got there. Husband or offspring? I have no way of knowing. Pillock.

Ok, in my opinion these Young's 6 gallon fermenters are great for fermentation

PB10030801.jpg

but become a problem when it comes to racking and clearing, because you can't see through them.

That's why I've been looking for some big bottles. That 6 gallons of Wurzel's now racked and finings added. For scale, that's my Scotch Broth wine also ready for racking. It's only got a plug of kitchen roll because I've already nicked the airlock for one of the big bottles.

PB10030802.jpg

With one of these I've also just started another 15 litres of Wurzel's Orange, and they fit nicely in a beer bucket with an aquarium heater to maintain a water bath.

PB10030803.jpg

I've also got the bottom tray from an old bird cage with another aquarium heater for my active PETs:

PB10030804.jpg

Good result and a great setup :thumb:

I was told at my local Asda that they'll be have more cooler bottles in during May

Carrot Whisky
Reduce the sugar to 3 lbs (it's an old CJJB recipe), but I bent the recipe completely and my brew is towards the bottom of that thread.

:rofl: I've just noticed this halfway down:
J_P said:
:shock: I've seen some weird stuff fermented but this has got to be up there with the bloke who fermented tomato juice :lol:
Now who would do a damn fool thing like fermenting tomato juice? :whistle:

Moley, some stalkers will go to great lengths :lol:

Funnily enough, I got chatting to a bird at the tip once, she had a rav like mine, a top milf she was.. ahem...
I wasnt interested in what she was throwing away at all, but i was interested in what she was prepared to put out :lol:

:cheers: CS

Update (as I've linked to this thread):

Wurzels cleared. As with any other PET DJs those bottles need an occasional quarter twist to dislodge sediment off the ridges. I polished them last night and will bottle later today.

PB10031401.jpg

Those other bottles are some of my tomato, which sails through the fack test.

Nice one Moley,

They have changed our water machines at work from those containers to a pipe system so missed out on that chance!!
But did just pick up two very nice demi,s from a Freecycler - and a gorgeous indian carpet . Three cheers for Freecycle!!

My first brew is looking very promising. Would you recommend Golden syrup to cask or sugar??

Also looking to get some cider going. Can anybody recommend a kit?

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Nice idea about the cooler bottles M, Had a scrounge around at work...

How did you get on with the water cooler bottle BB? I can get one for about £8. Did you have any probs with it?

Dan

Latest posts

Back