Igloo 45 litre mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate. Yeah I'm knackered now!

Your mash run sounds perfect to me. Like you say. If it ain't broke! Sometimes simplicity is all that's needed. U got any pics of your tun?

Bit slow coming back with pics, 'cos I waited until today's brewday :)

Here's the one-piece 'manifold' (which is a contradiction, I know!). Hmmm, the MT is showing its age - been stained after 50+ mashes. Must consider replacing/ upgrading it sometime...

And here it's in the MT being used in earnest whilst sparging:

(Just out of shot to the foreground is a solar pump, lifting the wort to the boiler)

Cheers,
Chris

Looking good there mate! Is that a plastic hlt you have there wrapped up with the insulation? I only SSL because I'm in the process of making 1 myself. Got my eye on a 30 litre pp bucket. I ordered the element for it on Monday. Just trying to figure out which sort of tap to fit to it.

Your setup looks spot on! Nice sparge arm too! I've only got 2 BIAB brews under my belt so far. But am now moving over to 3 vessel full AG setup. Hence the mash run build!

Yep - it's a plastic 60 litre Copper Kettle jobbie, with 3kw pigtail element, sight tube and ball valve for a tap. Ball valve and a tank connector should set you back about 7 or 8 quid locally (assuming you have some 15mm pipe to hand). As good a solution as any, and available locally from a plumbers merchant, Screwfix, Tool Station, lala

On local availabilty, check local hardware stores for bins. I saw one on my High St which was marked underneath as PP - polypropylene - food safe and high temp. A 50 litre job for 10 or 12 quid. It doesn't have to say 'homebrew' to be good for homebrew... (If the shop assistant wants to know why you're turning it upside down, tell them you need to know if it's m or f!).

Remember even plastic needs to be drilled carefully. Good luck with your upgrade, geez! :)

Latest posts

Back