Imperial IPA - Pliny Knockoff

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
Brewday commenced last night with some modifications to our process - 1 hour mash became 2 hour mash, and thusly we solved the efficiency problem. The recipe is a Pliny the Elder base with added oats and slightly modified hop schedule - recipe is named "Miraculous Screwball Memoir", an anagram of hops we're using...

Recipe below:
Batch Size: 17 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 19 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.099
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.111
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 12.15%
IBU (tinseth): 135.63
SRM (morey): 13.16

FERMENTABLES:
8 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (82.9%)
375 g - German - Carapils (3.9%)
375 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 45L (3.9%)
400 g - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (4.1%)
500 g - Flaked Oats (5.2%)

HOPS:
30 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Mash, IBU: 7.28
10 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 12.16
55 g - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 74.28
20 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.2, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 23.21
20 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 18.7
45 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.8, Use: Aroma for 0 min
20 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.2, Use: Aroma for 0 min
25 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
25 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
25 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.2, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
5 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
5 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days
5 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.2, Use: Dry Hop for 2 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 65 C, Time: 120 min, Amount: 27 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.81 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05 (2 packets)

Began at 1830hrs with strike water (27L) up to 72c. We used our BIAB voile bag as a liner in our mashtun and hooked it up so the grain would sit in that and be easily drained. Decanted the strike into the mashtun and mashed in at 65c.

The mash time was 2 hours - an experiment to see if we could increase efficiency. It worked. Lautered after the two hour window, the mash had dropped to 64.5c and we went ahead and collected something in the region of 24L of wort - discarded the extra (in future i think we'll freeze it for use as a starter) and came in with a pre-boil gravity of 1.078 in 24L of wort - we were aiming for 1.099 so opted to boil it down to get to OG.

Boil and hop schedule were uneventful and we cooled down the final product after 6.5hrs of brewing. OG came in at 1.110, just shy of 1.111 so effectively managed to nail efficiency of ~60%. Well chuffed.

Pitched two packets of US-05 at ~24c and removed the FV to the garage. Aiming to dry hop in a week with 75g of Columbus/Centennial/Simcoe and then a 15g hop tea addition two days later when we bottle up. Hoping to get this in the bottle in 9 days, although will check gravity at the dry hop stage.

Overall a very very successful brewday.

Honestly, I over-egged the malt bill expecting a relatively **** efficiency! Was hoping around 9% but... uh... we worked out our mash issue ;) this is essentially a big Hoppy barleywine :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I over-egged the malt bill expecting a relatively **** efficiency! Was hoping around 9% but... uh... we worked out our mash issue ;) this is essentially a big Hoppy barleywine :D

you've given me fresh inspiration to up my game :whistle:

10.37% and beyond :lol:

6 days in and the gravity is sitting at 1.027. Erk. It needs to come down to 1.018.... will check tomorrow but sensing a stuck fermentation.

Bottled on 14th July this was a hella fresh brew, 10 days from recipe to bottle.

We opened our first bottles on 17th August - just over 4 weeks of conditioning.

cc04b3302953b5c881a699ded59bc42a_640x640.jpeg

This will require a good 6 months to a year of conditioning to be at optimum drinking potential. My opinion of this was: "Green, hot alcohol, glowing bitterness from many hops.". This is easily the best thing we've made from nailing the efficiency and recipe to the conditioning and taste. 10/10 would make this one again!

Two bottles of this will be going to the HomeBrewDog competition next week and hopefully give us some decent feedback...

Bottled on 14th July this was a hella fresh brew, 10 days from recipe to bottle.

We opened our first bottles on 17th August - just over 4 weeks of conditioning.

cc04b3302953b5c881a699ded59bc42a_640x640.jpeg

This will require a good 6 months to a year of conditioning to be at optimum drinking potential. My opinion of this was: "Green, hot alcohol, glowing bitterness from many hops.". This is easily the best thing we've made from nailing the efficiency and recipe to the conditioning and taste. 10/10 would make this one again!

Two bottles of this will be going to the HomeBrewDog competition next week and hopefully give us some decent feedback...

You need 3 x 330 bottles if entering. Re stuck brew I've not used that yeast in a high abv brew the yeast may not be able to get down to your required fg.

plus congrats on your brew I bet it turns out stunning after a bit more conditioning.:thumb:

You need 3 x 330 bottles if entering. Re stuck brew I've not used that yeast in a high abv brew the yeast may not be able to get down to your required fg.

plus congrats on your brew I bet it turns out stunning after a bit more conditioning.:thumb:

The bottles didn't gush (thankfully) so presumably they've settled the gravity to something sensible.

How's the RIS coming along?

Latest posts

Back