Infection question, film appeared after fining beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samwise

Reaction score
I have 3 brews sitting in secondary at the moment. I opened them up 24 hours ago to add isinglass finings before I rack off into cornies and carbonate. Beers looked great yesterday when adding the finings, but two of them look like they could be infected now. One in particular has a noticeable white film on the surface with folds in it. Is this more in keeping with an infection than what I should see after fining? It's my first time using isinglass.

I boiled my water for the isinglass mixture for 15 minutes then cooled it so it shouldn't have any nasties in. I also spray everything with a good coating of videne before using.

My plan is to rack off from under the film tomorrow into the cornies, leave the last liter or two and hope that all turns out ok. Any advice?

I think a picture would be really helpful. One mans film is another mans foam etc.

I have always just pitched finings in straight no water. Never used isinglass however.
D :thumb:

Ah, I just had the thin white film, first time in x brews, appeared two weeks in fv. I've had it before with GBP ginger beer (non brewer's yeast), and it was an atmospheric infection that took ages to get rid of from a constantly recycled GBP mass. Anyway I've bottled my weiss after trying to scrape as much film as poss off, not v optimistic though

Back