Ingredient prices. Can this be beaten?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stesmi

Regular.
Reaction score
My LHBS in glasgow is great for kits, in fact it's the national distributor for Coopers. I can pick up the kits for £12 (cheap?), brew enhancer 1 for £3.65, etc... But it's grain prices are dire :doh:

Brewstore.co.uk in Edinburgh however does a 4kg malt and 100g hops bundle for a tenner. I think that's pretty cheap, but can it be beaten? And when I can't get through to Edinburgh for a liquid lunch their carriage is only £5.95, but is that cheap?

http://www.brewstore.co.uk/mash-beer-brewers-bargain-brew-pack-2321-p.asp

It's the delivery costs that always screw you up though :-/

Both worcesterhopshop and geterbrewed are pretty cheap.
:)
WOW - £3.99 delivery at Geterbrewed.co.uk. That's good!:mrgreen:

It's the delivery costs that always screw you up though :-/

Both worcesterhopshop and geterbrewed are pretty cheap.
:)
WOW - £3.99 delivery at Geterbrewed.co.uk. That's good!:mrgreen:

It is.. but if you can afford to do a more bulk order you get delivery free of course its not often you can get that

You can also ask Geterbrewed to mill grains for you if you request it!

It is.. but if you can afford to do a more bulk order you get delivery free of course its not often you can get that

You can also ask Geterbrewed to mill grains for you if you request it!

Just placed an order with Geterbrewed. 5kg Lager malt and 3kg of wheat malt - £14.29 including delivery! That's £1.78 per kilo with delivery! Now that's cheap! Thanks for the recommendadtion;-)

Most 1.7kg kit tins sell here in Queensland for about $15 give or take, and with £1 buying just shy of $2 I guess that's cheap for UK prices. (suffice to say there's no shortage of Coopers kits here!)
25kg dextrose from hbs is $45
When I can get a decent UK kit like a Woodfordes it is about $38
Sugar from the supermarket is $1.80 a 2kg bag, and the same supermarkets do their "own brand" brew kit tin for $9.
Home brewing here can be dirt cheap given pub prices for awful beer.
I miss my Wilko pressure kegs. Totally unavailable in Australia.

Most 1.7kg kit tins sell here in Queensland for about $15 give or take, and with £1 buying just shy of $2 I guess that's cheap for UK prices. (suffice to say there's no shortage of Coopers kits here!)
Sugar from the supermarket is $1.80 a 2kg bag, and the same supermarkets do their "own brand" brew kit tin for $9.

OK Ian, so why are you not picking up two Coopers (e.g. lager kits), adding some cheap sugar and brewing it to the length of your fermenter?

You can easily brew to 6 gallons (27L) in the Coopers fermenter, then you add some Cascade, Citra, the list is seemingly endless, and you have just "craft brewed" a brilliant beer - Aussie IPA.

Nostalgia for not great props - like plastic pressure barrels seems a bit odd. They just don't work in a warm climate, mate! Too much pressure gets pushed out when it's hot and none left for when you want to drink it.

Yes, funny that, I guess it's something being impossible to source that makes it desirable. I have tried "water containers" as kegs, and even with the low level of carbonation I prefer, blown the tap out..... And that was down south where the winters were cold.

As for playing with kits, I've done a few twocans and other concoctions, all good fun.
I've generally got 3x25 litres in fermenters. At the moment it's Coopers IPA, cider from supermarket apple juice and Black Rock (new Zealand) stout. Next up will be Black Rock - kiwi bitter, Coopers stout and a local lager.... Diamondback or Canecutter.
All good fun

Now that is cheap for coopers kits. You must be able to get rotokegs in OZ? Seen many a TubeDinoz (Aussie guy) rotokeg video on YouTube.

Thanks Stesmi, rotokeg are to the best of my knowledge available in NZ at silly money.
I'll stick to bottles, I've thought about Cornykeg, but I'm not in love with fizzy beer. Then there's the temperature control etc etc. I like my brewing like the contents of my head.... Simple.

Back