Interesting experiment or just a horrible idea?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurin

Regular.
Reaction score
I was thinking of experimenting with coffee and came up with the following

1 pack of coffee (227g) Lavazza Rosso
500g of light brown sugar
200g of granulated sugar
100g of Body Bru / Maltodextrin
1 tsp of yeast nutrients
Safbrew S-33 as yeast

Calculated SG 1.068

I would dissolve all the sugars in water, bring it to a boil and then mix in the coffee, put it in the FV add cold water mix with yeast nutrient and aerate, then pitch the yeast.

Does anybody have experience with something similar or a good reason not to do it or change any of the ingredients

Jack Keller website gives this:

½ lb freshly ground coffee
2½ lbs dark brown sugar
1½ tsp citric acid
¼ tsp tannin
7½ pts water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Sauterne wine yeast

Might give you ideas to improve yours.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request110.asp

Word around the web is that coffee wine can be fantastic, it can be awful. Go for it!

I made coffee wine back in September 2011. It tasted bloody awful when I first bottled it (far to bitter) but after leaving it for 7 months it's starting to really get good. Mine came out at 17% I think.

James

Thanks for the input and ideas.

I might then only leave the coffee in for a bit and not actually put it in the FV so it doesn't get too bitter. I was also thinking about putting in some spices such a vanilla pods or some cocoa powder etc.
It seems that most recipes go for wine strength or even higher. I will not have the time to let it mature for long as I will move in summer so I think I will go for about 7% or 8%.

Do you guys think ale yeast would not be good and I should rather use wine yeast or would be alright?

Laurin said:

I might then only leave the coffee in for a bit and not actually put it in the FV so it doesn't get too bitter. I was also thinking about putting in some spices such a vanilla pods or some cocoa powder etc.
It seems that most recipes go for wine strength or even higher. I will not have the time to let it mature for long as I will move in summer so I think I will go for about 7% or 8%.

Do you guys think ale yeast would not be good and I should rather use wine yeast or would be alright?

I suspect vanilla pods would need to go in after the main ferment, in a maturing stage. I tried using some during main ferment of a turbocider and the affect on the flavour was negligible (as in, "can you detect any vanilla?"). Maybe I just didn't use enough.
ISTR cocoa is fat-soluble but not water soluble, so it may not work. When you make cocoa you have an emulsion rather than a solution, IIRC. Can't hurt to try though.
I'd think a better bet than an ale yeast would be to use a wine yeast and limit the sugar to hold the ABV down.

Laurin said:

The Jack Keller recipe - link above - has clear instructions; it had you filtering out the coffee before it goes in the DJ.

Worth a read if only to improve your idea.

I made coffee wine and it is lovely.

I used a lot less coffee than you are planning to use.
Cant quite remember now how much but I think it was around 4 table spoons of Nescafe gold blend.
I think if you use more it will be bitter and not so sweet.

I also added vanilla extract to the finished wine to get the 'tia maria' flavour.

It was instant coffee and I used Youngs general yeast (you know the little white pot of yeast)

I added sugar to mine in stages and ended up with an 18% drink. It started out as wine but its more like a liqure.
It has such high alcohol I can open a bottle and it does not spoil, it can take me a while to drink it once opened.

I won't have that much time to let it ferment so I think I will go for less percent. What ever I do I will write down the recipe and what happens with it.

Latest posts

Back