IPA - RO WAter Treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I check the PH of the Mash after about 10 minutes just to be sure that my calculations were correct . TBH I don’t even bother with testing the water PH.
Thanks for that and i didn’t do this but will in future. As an example my starting PH in the mash water was down to 2.7, how would you bring that back up to around the desired 5.4 (ish)?

Thanks for that and i didn’t do this but will in future. As an example my starting PH in the mash water was down to 2.7, how would you bring that back up to around the desired 5.4 (ish)?
The grain will be the dominant agent for bringing down your mash pH, known as buffering. The salts are used to take it down to the required pH which won't be much at all. Bicarb will bring it up but it shouldn't need to raise the pH for a pale beer.
The pH of your water will be in your programmed water source. As Mash Monster says no need to measure that, measure your pH after the grain has been doughed in 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:
The grain will be the dominant agent for bringing down your mash pH, known as buffering. The salts are used to take it down to the required pH which won't be much at all. Bicarb will bring it up but it shouldn't need to raise the pH for a pale beer.
The pH of your water will be in your programmed water source. As Mash Monster says no need to measure that, measure your pH after the grain has been doughed in 5-10 minutes.
I followed the guidelines on BF but looks like they may have been a tad out, next brew will do it in increments until i reach the desired PH.

I followed the guidelines on BF but looks like they may have been a tad out, next brew will do it in increments until i reach the desired PH.
Are you meaning on the program? Select your water source, select the profile you want, add your grain on the program, you will see the pH drop then add your gypsum and chloride, depending on your water profile you may need a touch of lactic or sulphuric acid. When the pH shows about 5.2 then you know you won't be far off the mark. Check your pH 5-10 minutes in if you are way off which I doubt you will be add some acid or bicarb whichever way you want to go.

Yes indeed. Spot on.

And don't forget taste. You taste buds are far more sophisticated and sensitive than a simple circuit. You are final judge of your beer, make what you like, not what the numbers say. They are a signpost that you are heading the right way.

That’s a pretty healthy krausen.

B12E3894-FA9C-4555-B106-9E204CF6C035.jpeg53F51B0F-9C55-4089-A994-965FFA625F25.jpeg

Keeping the sparge water at a low pH will reduce the risk of drawing out tannins from the grain bed. 5.5 rule of thumb
As someone with the unlucky tounge that can taste these tannins I appreciate you sharing this info. I hope one day it is taught at brew school so commercial breweries all acidify their sparge water as standard practice. I believe only a handful do in the UK at the moment.

Cascade my favourite hop. Drunk gallons of it.

I am looking forward to it, ever mind you 🤣🤣
Gravity is down to 1.010 from an OG of 1.045, target is 1.009 which should be tomorrow hopefully, then it’s into the keg for a bit of conditioning for a week or two. The sample smelt amazing by the way.

Back