Simple Water Treatment for an Idiot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View forum in portrait mode in case anyone hasn't twigged what @MashBag meant. (I say that 'cos I know I'd be looking at the back of me 'phone and scratching me 'ead!). :thumbsup: šŸ„“

This is an example of "Hardness" calculations going wrong. It's all grey 'cos it's viewing the "Foetid Mire" area (or "under-the-hood", the bit best stayed out of).

It is from the "Battle, Kent" water analysis (but not SE Water's one) loaded into the "Defuddler" as a "default". This analysis does actually balance (chemically): Notice the two values on the right-hand side? 170.1ppm against 171.53ppm; that's balanced as near as damn it (it stops stuff higher up the spreadsheet in the more visible area turning "red"). But the values for Permanent Hardness and Temporary Hardness are red and faded. You can just about see why: "Permanent" is negative, and "Temporary" is greater than the reported Total Hardness. (It really doesn't make sense, don't waste your time trying to check!).

1696090684499.png

I haven't modified the values, only part obscured them as they play no further part in adjusting this water. Other "full-blown" water calculators do similar, but don't make the deception so obvious: For example, "Bru'n Water" doesn't allow Temporary Hardness to ever exceed Total Hardness, and therefore Permanent Hardness gets no lower than "zero". Dodgy! But they have no impact on further calculations ... and who notices?

I guess this occurs because some alkalinity isn't associated with "Hardness" elements like Calcium. Say it's from Sodium Carbonate? Still creates "alkalinity", but creates zero "hardness". It can occur naturally in rare cases. It can also occur in "ion exchange water softeners" (not at source in UK).

The other thing worth pointing out in this view is "Magnesium": Notice the value given it down here is a whopping 20.5ppm? The report only gave it 4.99. But the first figure is "as CaCO3". So, ask yourself, "what has Magnesium got to do with CaCO3?". And why is it added to "Total Hardness"?

I do start this section with: "Down here all is not what it seems!".

After months of inactivity on my "Defuddler" spreadsheet I renewed some effort to make it fit a different scenario. But I remembered the "Battle" water profile and thought I'd give it a go ...

Despite the unusual water the new "Defuddler" has no problems extracting valid data from that water. If you remember, the water had a large quantity of "Sodium" based "Alkalinity" resulting in some fanciful returns from Water Calculators ("Zero" values for "hardness" and so-on). The water reports were not differentiating between hardness inducing "alkalinity" content and "non-hardness" inducing alkalinity (the analytical techniques used can't make such differentiations). The "Defuddler" now can! For what its worth ... surely everyone understands now that "water hardness" has zero relevance to beer brewing?

This clip is from the same part of the spreadsheet as the one three posts back ...

1713196619424.png

(PS. The Alkalinity mentioned in the clip says 97.78ppm, not 37.78ppm ... that naff font caused me loads of un-necessary work!). The output from the "Defuddler" changed very slightly to ...

1713198892188.png

"Bicarbonate" reporting seems to have undergone some changes! The "Defuddler" no longer depends on an explicit water report figure, it can figure it out from the other ions reported (just five! now). This is the data for putting into a water calculator (those calculators can't be bothered to do it, hence dozens of home-brewers resorting un-necessarily to "RO water", bottled water, etc.).

I'll update the links for the spreadsheet over the next few days. The reason for this new burst of activity is trying to make sense of the substantial drop in "Alkalinity" between the water treatment plant and the tap (mine has 25ppm as CaCO3 reported, but only 5-10 makes it to the tap). I figured that too ( :rolleyes: ... smartarse!), and why it only affects a few percent of the population to the far west of the UK and most of Scotland.

Latest posts

Back