ipa serve chilled or room temp ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanoD

Reaction score
as my post title says , the only reason i asked is because i got a bottle from a cupboard opened i poured it into a glass and it was perfect :thumb: it had a nice head on it all the way down the glass and tasted lovely , the following i poured myself another one straight from fridge and it tasted completly different , the head disappeared after about 3 minutes and it tasted slightly different ? the one that was chilled was taken to work a week before to cold condition could my factory be too cold and actually ruining my brew ?

So there are two variables here: the storage temperature and the serving temperature. The temperature you serve at will make a huge difference in taste. I think most real ale is supposed to be served at about 13C but it's down to personal taste.

I'd serve at about 12 degrees for most ales, darker ones maybe a little warmer. I'd only chill lagers and wheat beers right down to fridge temperatures.

cheers for your replies , i think i will try an "experiment" in a minute i will try one from the fridge which has been at work and i will try a room temperature one also from work ;) man i love my experiments :thumb:

all alchohol experiments are worthwhile ;)
except the one where my mate thought he could jump a 5 bar gate after a session down the football club :D

12c is perfect. personally I leave in the garage then move into the kitchen half an hour before drinking. To cold and you won't taste anything. That is why we are lead to believe that beer is best served super cool by the brewing conglomerate ad men to hide the fact the beer has no flavour and certainly no hops.

DeanoD said:
except the one where my mate thought he could jump a 5 bar gate after a session down the football club :D

Been there done that in my youth, except i tried jumping over a gate which was already open. :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:
DeanoD said:

Been there done that in my youth, except i tried jumping over a gate which was already open. :lol: :lol:

:rofl:

anyway getting my post back on track ;) having tried one ipa from the fridge and a ipa served at room temp , i can say that the room temp ipa was a far better pint a nice quarter inch head on it and a smooth taste all the way to the bottom :thumb:

Rwilts said:
Wish I could do beer experiments on a weekday afternoon... :(

But I agree i find everything except Lager taste better at room temp...
i dont normally but i got told yesterday that the company i work for doesnt have enough work for me for 5 days so only on 3 day weeks for the forseeable future :cry: :cry: :cry: !!!!

:cheers: i never thought of that ;)
im sure it will pick up soon anyway time for another room temp ipa me thinks :grin:

Back