Iron ,copper , metallic type taste in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworkmaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm hoping someone could point me in right direction, I have noticed a faint but distinct metallic taste in my beers both kit and the AG biab .
Our water in Torbay is soft as hell but has quite high iron content , our soil turns local sheep pink lol.
Anyway I can treat this or will I have to buy bottled aqua ?

Hi all I'm hoping someone could point me in right direction, I have noticed a faint but distinct metallic taste in my beers both kit and the AG biab .
Our water in Torbay is soft as hell but has quite high iron content , our soil turns local sheep pink lol.
Galvanised pipes? A mate of mine turned his two Jack Russel's pink after they ate the meat he was using to breed red maggots.

We’ve got a holiday place in Brixham and I find the water unsuitable for brewing. I only make kits there and they are awful with the exception of Range Stout. My advice is buy bottled water.

I can taste a slightly metallic taste when beer is oxidised (as opposed to the regular cardboardy/sherry flavours that others get). It's normally only get it with a mini-keg that's been open for 2-3 days and not out of bottles etc. I doubt this is it, but thought it worth mentioning, just in case.

Did you taste the beer on the way into the fermenter after the boil? And when it came out of the fermenter into the keg/bottles? I taste the beer at every stage so can identify if the problem existed at any given stage of the production.

I can taste a slightly metallic taste when beer is oxidised (as opposed to the regular cardboardy/sherry flavours that others get). It's normally only get it with a mini-keg that's been open for 2-3 days and not out of bottles etc. I doubt this is it, but thought it worth mentioning, just in case.

Did you taste the beer on the way into the fermenter after the boil? And when it came out of the fermenter into the keg/bottles? I taste the beer at every stage so can identify if the problem existed at any given stage of the production.
I tasted the wort before crash cooling and also just prior to batch priming was much more noticeable after fermentation but was their at crash stage , my dad can't taste it but my taste buds are super sensitive to certain flavours ( chef for 20 plus years ) metal of any type is one.

Not sure if you bottle or keg ? I had this on a bitter that I kegged and over carbed with too much co2. The keg had a metallic taste that I couldn't shift, but the extra bottles were fine

Not sure if you bottle or keg ? I had this on a bitter that I kegged and over carbed with too much co2. The keg had a metallic taste that I couldn't shift, but the extra bottles were fine
I do both and detected it in both , was more noticeable in the pressure barrel though

The keg will probably need passivating, sounds like the chromium oxide surface is damaged, exposing ferrous metal.

Latest posts

Back