is AG worth the expense?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used to brew kits only then about 6 years ago changed to a basic AG setup. Big difference. I have brewed about 2 kits (because of convenience) since and both times i have ended giving the brews away. Nothing wrong with them except they just didn't cut it compared to the AG brews i could now make. My brother brews kits - he has limited time for brewing. He is happy with his brews but notices the difference when he tastes mine. For me the time issue doesn't count - i really enjoy the whole process of brewing and normally get a few mates involved as well. Just mixing a tin into water doesn't really do justice to the history of brewing to me!
I now have a dedicated Brew shed, shiny etc but before that it was one plastic boiler and FV vessel! By the way the equipment last for years and always gets a good resell value on ebay!!
tim :drunk:

johnnyboy1965 said:
BIAB...never quite got this one, as your only £30.00 away from going the whole hog.

Unless you're a shiny-freak...

If you're doing it on the cheap yes, if you are building a thing of beauty BIAB is just a handy stop off en-route.

Which reminds me, after a year and a bit of BIABing I really must finish building that shiny mashtun...

Go BIAB, check out biabrewer (google it) they have a section known as stovetop or minibiab. If you can make a 10L pot of stew and brew kit beer, you can minibiab.

Most BIAB systems are low cost and pretty straight forward, then of course there is the other end of the scale (braumeister), I don't think anyone could tell if a brew had been done by BIAB instead of a 3V system. A side by side comparison of the same brew would have differences but those who BIAB are certainly no worse off than those who 3V.

To answer the question though, IMHO AG is undoubtedly worth it. Don't compare hobby craft products with commercial products, a commercial product will almost always cost more and be of less quality compared to someone who has a real interest in whichever hobby they pursue and do it well. A commercial product almost always has to make sacrifices, otherwise it'll cost too much.

Even the bigger up-and-comers like brewdog or thornbridge(both who are or nearly are brewery size now) have to make financial choices on their product despite all the bluster.

Thanks all for your views. Looking at equipment choices now. Prob end up going plastic to start with and if it grows in me then shiny will no doubt make an appearance later on.

Diggerg said:
Thanks all for your views. Looking at equipment choices now. Prob end up going plastic to start with and if it grows in me then shiny will no doubt make an appearance later on.
If cash allows go shiney, because you might/will do at some point... Plus if you pack in it'll have a good re-sale value.

BB

Without a doubt, im not saying that kits are ****, i regulary brew kits to try new styles or if im to busy to get a mash on but they never compare to my AG beer.

calumscott said:
Not like you to be thinking about the pennies BB... :whistle:

LoL...... :thumb: :thumb:

On about pennies wish I'd bought more corney kegs when they were £20.00 each..

BB

Back