Is the glass important?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight rider

Reaction score
There are hundreds of posts on the forum discussing how to brew but the glass you serve it in seems very unimportant as far as I can tell.

I know that some people will think this is all in the mind, but I'm convinced that the glass I serve my beer in affects the taste!

For stout, I prefer a standard pint glass. I only ever fill it half way then top up as I go.
For ale, a traditional dimpled mug with knuckles and handle.
For lager, a European-style lager glass shaped like a large wine glass. Never a Stein.

Is there any reason for this or am I deluding myself? Wouldn't be the first time! :cool:

I know each beer type has a certain type of glass it is meant to be served in. I think with lager it is more important because it has something to do with the formation of gas bubbles in the glass, the bubbles are meant to carry the aromatics to the nose and enhance the flavour. Tall thin glasses do this better which is why champagne is served in a them. With less carbonated beers I believe temperature has more to do with final taste. Served very cold a lot of beer has little to no taste imo. A larger glass might help the beer maintain a more balanced temperature whilst it is being consumed?

If the beer is very hoppy then it should be served in a glass that can trap the aroma to aid tasting. The local pub often serves craft brewed IPA in pilsner type glasses, filled halfway they hold a nice head and the scent of the hops appears to be stronger when sipped. I agree that the glass can be an important part of tasting beer, unfortunately I often drink from whatever glass is to hand - usually a cheap old pint glass!

So in short I agree, it is important! :cheers:

I enjoy my pewter tankard although thats reserved just for drinking on a night, as with most of my brews I am constantly checking on the clarity and color etc, not possible in a tankard
well thats my excuse for tasting often...

I do think its a very personal choice and dont honestly think it alters the taste of the ales.....

but I'll keep checking......... :tongue:

piddledribble said:
I enjoy my pewter tankard although thats reserved just for drinking on a night, as with most of my brews I am constantly checking on the clarity and color etc, not possible in a tankard

I do think its a very personal choice and dont honestly think it alters the taste of the ales.....

Tankards and mugs were the norm around 150 years ago (ish ) and only changed to glass due to a new yeast strain (bottom fermenting yeast) was found and then this light coloured beer that was clear (lager) was brewed and people wanted to see said beer unlike traditional beers that are either cloudy or dark . Personally i feel that if there was a difference in taste then the masses would of kept to tankards (unless glass is better) .

Not sure why it is but some of my glasses seem to produce a better carbonation effect than others do. I don't over carb my beers but do like small bubbles held to the side of the glass and a slight fizz. I can pour beer from the same keg to two different glasses and get two different results. I reckon it must be down to how the glass is cleaned but haven't worked it out yet. Any ideas?

mike77 said:
Not sure why it is but some of my glasses seem to produce a better carbonation effect than others do. I don't over carb my beers but do like small bubbles held to the side of the glass and a slight fizz. I can pour beer from the same keg to two different glasses and get two different results. I reckon it must be down to how the glass is cleaned but haven't worked it out yet. Any ideas?
have a look on the bottom of the glass inside , ridges , groves and markings . They make a big difference .

Cleaning may be important for head retention. The chap that owns a local micro brewery explained that even very small amounts of detergent left on the glass can ruin head retention. I guess it may be an effect on the surface tension of the liquid (ie. beer in the glass).
As for shape and size, the bigger the better!

I bought five pint glass shaped vases (sp?) for a bit of a drinking session with some mates. They held about 5pints and I can safely say bigger is not better when it comes to a glass. They did not get re-filled after the first attempt... But my wife liked the flowers the morning after, and my mates took one each to lessen the ear ache at home.

I've got straight heavy glasses for ales and a curvy one for lagers.

I went through a couple of weeks of drinking my wow style wines from pint glasses, but I was falling over too much so had to buy wine glasses.

I'm sure brian Potter ( Phoenix Nights ) would have loved the vases for drinking out of.....

God loves you Brian...

Straight glass for me though at the moment i am using a vase only because my kids bought it me and it says 'Worlds Greatest Dad' :grin: :grin:

It wouldn't be right not to use it.

piddledribble said:
I'm sure brian Potter ( Phoenix Nights ) would have loved the vases for drinking out of.....

God loves you Brian...
i get two pints in mine

ejh8.jpg
[/URL]

I was always pretty indifferent on glass and pairing them to beer, I tend to drink everything from tulip shaped 50cl glass. It's very delicate and nobody in the house ever touches it. :D

My wife drinks from 33cl oversized cognac/brandy glass we found on flea market for 50p.

Well it has to be a full pint glass for a start so you can pour the whole bottle in one go to avoid problems with sediment. Other than that I like commemorative festival glasses.

piddledribble said:

I'm very surprised by this. I have a pewter tankard which completely destroys the taste. My wife bought it for me years ago and I rarely use it because of the strong metallic taste.

have you or your wife been cleaning/polishing it with anything ?
Tankards should just be rinsed in warm water and wiped over with a clean cloth.....Hide the metal polish

piddledribble said:
have you or your wife been cleaning/polishing it with anything ?
Tankards should just be rinsed in warm water and wiped over with a clean cloth.....Hide the metal polish

Actually, I think the one I have is more decorative than anything else and maybe shouldn't be used. It gives the beer a strange aftertaste that I could only describe as 'to my husband on our anniversary!'

Back