is there such a thing as amaretto wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's an Amaretto Liqueur which is likely to be a base wine with loads of crushed almond nuts mixed in with loads of sugar or some other fermentable to take it to liqueur strength.

As already mentioned, amaretto is a liqueur (disaranno being a famous brand) based on an almond flavour. So saying I have seen recipes for almond wine, though I've never tried, or heard of anyone trying, them.

I think the almondy flavour of amaretto is from apricot pits. Its cyanide compounds which is why Miss Marple sometimes sniffs a glass over the fresh stiff and says stuff like "Cyanide! This man's been poisoned!" I tried a version with pits but now I do a wash and add some almond extract, a little glycerine, sugar and Prestige amaretto essence, producing a pretty good tipple :)

Extra fact: As I understand, you'd have to drink your body weight ( at least ) of amaretto to die of cyanide poisoning and it is processed by the kidneys.

simkin said:
I think the almondy flavour of amaretto is from apricot pits. Its cyanide compounds which is why Miss Marple sometimes sniffs a glass over the fresh stiff and says stuff like "Cyanide! This man's been poisoned!" I tried a version with pits but now I do a wash and add some almond extract, a little glycerine, sugar and Prestige amaretto essence, producing a pretty good tipple :)

Extra fact: As I understand, you'd have to drink your body weight ( at least ) of amaretto to die of cyanide poisoning and it is processed by the kidneys.

cheers simkin thats what im looking for! I dont suppose you have a recipe? From what ive heard you need to lay up almond wines for around a year before the flavour really comes out, is this right?

A guy making amaretto with pits does it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYP6qUXnoNA

For a wine, I think holland and barrett sell packets of apricot kernels, so no need for cracking up the surprisingly tough shells. Perhaps a lot of kernels, lightly crushed, some fresh apricots, a WGJ or two, the usual additives (nutrient, tannin, citric, pectolase) and ferment it up as usual? Perhaps boost the amaretto flavour with a Prestige essence per gallon. Good luck with your experiment :cheers:

As I said, my Simaretto is from a wash ( water [1.5 litres], sugar[500gms], nutrient, a little juice as I think the acid helps, yeast ). I fill a spirit bottle adding 150 grams sugar, a teaspoon of glycerin, a teaspoon or two of almond natural flavouring ( asda ), a Prestige Amaretto essence and top up with the wash.

Latest posts

Back