Is this mould??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titeyorkshire

Reaction score
Hi,
I bottled my peach and passionfruit cider kit last Friday and noticed on Saturday that one bottle had a small black jellyfish floating on the top (see picture below). I set it aside and didn't see any issues with the other bottles. I assumed that I hadn't cleaned that bottle properly and hopefully all the other bottles would be okay. I noticed today that all the bottles have a band of small dots that appear to be black (see picture-about an inch above sediment on bottom). Did this mean they are all ruined? I'm not used to bottling,I always barrel so I'm not sure if the dots are normal. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_173158477.jpg
    IMG_20200802_173158477.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200805_184231507_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200805_184231507_HDR.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 62
So the black dots were just fermentation, duh. Opened a bottle yesterday and this stuff is pretty good already!! Any thoughts on whether I should drink the bottle with the mould in it?? I'm seriously considering it... Hopefully all the other bottles are still good

Some would sat we live in an oversanitized world.
In the old days, you would:
Open it,
Sniff it
Taste it.
And if it was all OK, then you would then drink it

I have drunk similar - with just one small bit in it, but I would probably draw the line if there was more than that.

I opened it,
sniffed it (waste of time as my nose aint that great),
tasted it (seemed about the same as a bottle I had already drank- or was there a slightly off flavour?? The mind started to play tricks...)
drank half a glass,
realised I had a slightly strange headache (or did I??),
poured the rest down the sink and drank something else instead!
Im thinking its just the one glass out of twenty something other bottles that wasnt cleaned properly and the rest should be ok so theres no point risking it as I still have plenty of the stuff.

Back