Is this normal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason s

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I would like to know if this is normal or is this going to be going down the drain. I brewed a pilsner lager on Saturday and put it the fermentation fridge with the inkbird set at 14c. Checked Sunday evening to find fermentation had started, all good. Opened the fridge today to get a face full of fart. Is this a normal smell from lager fermenting. The yeast used was diamond lager yeast. I've used this as last time I done a lager I used this with good results. Just don't remember the potent smell.

Cheers

Hi all

I would like to know if this is normal or is this going to be going down the drain. I brewed a pilsner lager on Saturday and put it the fermentation fridge with the inkbird set at 14c. Checked Sunday evening to find fermentation had started, all good. Opened the fridge today to get a face full of fart. Is this a normal smell from lager fermenting. The yeast used was diamond lager yeast. I've used this as last time I done a lager I used this with good results. Just don't remember the potent smell.

Cheers
Perfectly normal.
Many lager yeasts produce sulphur compounds, and, in my experience, Diamond is particularly flatulent. The yeast should clean up all these pongs towards the end of fermentation and during conditioning. Don't panic.

Latest posts

Back