Jalapeño Blonde!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is one of the house favorites. It began as a cream ale, but was somewhat bastardized when I moved on to partial mash BIAB by using Pilsner extract. I've now gone to all grain but don't want to mess with Pilsner malts and DMS as I have issues getting a full boil and use the tamale steamer bottom as a lid propped by my spoon. So I've been revising this recipe over time looking for something as good as the BIAB version.

Cream ales use 6-row barley and are designed to be an ale version of a lager and much like a kolsch. I figured this out to work well, and in the latest version I used it as 100% of my base malt, though I may begin using some wheat.

This is my 19.9 L recipe:

3.63 kg of 6-row
340 g of crystal 20
227 g of carafoam
28 g of Mount Hood (5.6%) @ 70 mins
5 jalapeños roasted @ 176.7* C for 30 mins, sliced thin and cut into pieces to add to the boil @ 14 mins
5 fresh jalapeños sliced thin and cut into pieces set in liquor to extract and used as a "dry pepper" addition for 7 days
US-05 yeast

1.049/1.010
5.2% ABV
19 IBUs
4 SRM

Mashed at 66.7* C and fermented 7 days at 19.4* C followed by 2 weeks at room temp and 3 weeks conditioning.

My OG was higher at 1.053 and my FG was lower at 1.008! Then add the liquor it was soaked in and priming sugar and it's estimated at 7.3% ABV!

These always have horrible head retention. Some have said it may be to oils in the peppers, but nothing definitive.

This has an awesome aroma, flavor, and spiciness!

Latest posts

Back