Keeping wine in a barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to get ahead with the wine. I don’t have the bottles for another batch, so I’m wondering if I can keep it in a barrel with a tap.
Standard plastic barrel.
I can’t see how that would work with no gas.
Is there a solution?

As long as you have racked it off the dead yeast into the FV with tap You can keep it in the FV for a short while but as there will be a lot of headspace and many FV's are not airtight it's probably not a good idea to leave it in there for a long time.

I've thought about doing this but with the addition of a little trickle of CO2 to keep the headspace filled. I read somewhere though that it can affect the taste, not sure how much of an issue that is.

Ideal keg would be one of those with a plastic bag inside of it where the drink remains inside the bag with no air and you add gas (which can be just air) to the space around the bag in the keg to push out the drink. But I'm unaware of anyone selling such a system to home brewers, normally just for commercial breweries and so on. POLYKEG PRO con sacca - POLYKEG

You could buy one already filled though and then recycle it yourself. Not sure how difficult or not that is though: Beer Kegs

The cheaper, low tech version of this is the Vinotainer: Vinotainer 10 Litre Wine box

Personally haven't used them so can real comment as to ease of use and how well it keeps the wine.

Final option is wine boxes like what you get from the supermarket, I have tried these, bought some 5L ones off eBay. They are a pain to fill, I had one spring a leak when filling, you need something to support them in when filling, obvious choice being the cardboard box they go in but spill any wine on it whilst transferring and it rapidly turns to mush. They can only be reused a few times too.

I used a 10L mini keg for this year's Elderflower wine a few months back.
Primed with sugar and topped up with co2 as necessary, it works well ( still drinking it now ), much less hassle and more convenient than bottling.
In theory a barrel should be no different if it works as it should with no issues
though disadvantage of a barrel is always lack of pressure as you get to the bottom.

20221016_154627.jpg

I've thought about doing this but with the addition of a little trickle of CO2 to keep the headspace filled. I read somewhere though that it can affect the taste, not sure how much of an issue that is.

Ideal keg would be one of those with a plastic bag inside of it where the drink remains inside the bag with no air and you add gas (which can be just air) to the space around the bag in the keg to push out the drink. But I'm unaware of anyone selling such a system to home brewers, normally just for commercial breweries and so on. POLYKEG PRO con sacca - POLYKEG

You could buy one already filled though and then recycle it yourself. Not sure how difficult or not that is though: Beer Kegs

The cheaper, low tech version of this is the Vinotainer: Vinotainer 10 Litre Wine box

Personally haven't used them so can real comment as to ease of use and how well it keeps the wine.

Final option is wine boxes like what you get from the supermarket, I have tried these, bought some 5L ones off eBay. They are a pain to fill, I had one spring a leak when filling, you need something to support them in when filling, obvious choice being the cardboard box they go in but spill any wine on it whilst transferring and it rapidly turns to mush. They can only be reused a few
I found Polykegs, but no prices.

Back