Keg conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40634

Reaction score
Hi
Another newbie question here:
I’ve brewed a winter ale and it’s had 2 weeks in the FV. I’m planning on force carbonation in a corny.
My lab is to do a closed transfer from the FV to the corny with CO2 then leave to settle for a couple of weeks (week 3 and 4) before transferring to another corny to carbonate, I’m doing this to try and get a clearer beer.
Questions are, am I making this too complicated and should I just use one corny and also what temp should the corny be at for weeks 3 and 4?
Thanks in advance for any advice

The intermediate corny doesn't seem to do anything for you. Just leave it in the primary (unless you need this for a subsequent batch) for the extra 2 weeks, then transfer to the corny for carbonation.

If you cold crash it in the primary for weeks 3-4 (aka, whack it in the garage in December), it'll drop the yeast out faster. As long as it's "cold", it doesn't matter a lot what exact temperature you get to. But if you can dial it in, then go for 1-3°C

I pretty much do this with every beer, once finished transfer to a corny and carbonate (either fast method or over time depending on urgency) and leave in a fridge in my garage at about 3 degrees C for a couple of weeks before I hook upto my taps. Beer always comes out crystal clear if it's not brewed as a hazy. The first half a pint or so might be could as the dip tube sucks all the stuff that's settled to the bottom first, but I'm in the process of converting all my kegs to floating dip tubes to avoid this.

Back