Kegging setup for a small fridge.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyDip23

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm serious thinking about pulling the trigger on some Corny kegs, but I have a minor problem.
The only fridge I've really got room for in the house is a small beer fridge (like this one Buy Husky Guinness 46 Litre Drinks Cooler - Black | Mini fridges | Argos).
Max space in the fridge is 41cm x 22 cm.
This rules out full size kegs straight in the fridge as they simply wont fit.

Ive never used kegs before, so I'm wondering what the best appraoch to take is & need a bit of adivce.
I'm thinking of having a couple of 19L kegs un-refridgerated in the garage, then having a small 6L one (or possibly a growler) for the fridge, but ...

Would this setup be practical?
Would having the 19L kegs unrefridgerated be a problem & would I need to keep them under pressure given theyre basically just going to be holding containers to trasnsfer to to smaller keg?
6L Corny keg or something like a 5L gorwler - what would be better?
Would the lifespan of the beer in the 6L last for a week or so after transfer (cant see it lasting that long but jut in case :) )?
Would I need 2 gas supplies - one for the 6L and 1 for the 19L kegs - or could i get away with not having gas on the 6L keg and just topping up with the big cylinder?

Any other reccomendations on how I can get draft beer in my little fridge would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Gaz.

I know you said you don't have much room, but if height is no issue, could you go down the keezer route?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3286515?clickSR=slp:term:chest freezer:1:44:1
This freezer has much the same footprint as the fridge you linked.
I'm in the same kind of position as you describe (I got a corny and CO2 gear already). The only think I don't know about the freezer linked is whether or not it will fit two cornies. I bought a new AEB corny from MM as it is slimmer than the reconditioned ones. TBH though, even if my keezer only has one corny in it, that'll do me.

Last edited:
I have this set up:
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collection...minikeg-sodastream-kit?variant=22294509551697
I’ll be sampling my first beer from it tonight. If you don’t have room in your house for a full size fridge for a kegerator then these might be the solution. The 10L won’t fit in my kitchen fridge but I have portability of bringing in from the garage fridge when I want to drink it and putting it back before I go to bed, rather than having to go outside to the garage every time I want a pint.

They do 8L, 5L, 4L and 2L versions of these kegs too. Downside is they are pricier than cornies but there are fewer seals and other bots to maintain (the ball lock lid has a sealing washer and just screws on)

Other reputable sellers of the full set ups are iKegger and Darkfarm, and Brew2Bottle sell Mangrove Jack branded kegs.

I’ve done a ton more reading, measuring and searching.

I’ve plumped for 2 9.5l kegs (37cm high) from brewkegtap, a mini regulator from malt miller and a set of steel disconnects where the tube is at right angles to the post. These seem a bit smaller than normal connectors ( Stainless Steel Ball Lock Disconnect MFL (Gas) for Cornelius Type Keg | eBay) and I recon these are just going to fit in my current fridge.

If they don’t I’m gonna have to have a word with the mrs about rearranging the room and getting a bigger fridge - the kits ordered now so there’s no other option :)

Ill stick a follow up pic up when it all arrives and if it’s a success.

So - I’m happy to report that this is going to be a success :)

My disconnects have arrived today and I’ve just done a size check and everything is going to fit. Keg height with everything attached is coming in at a shade under 39cm.

Big co2 bottle will not fit in the fridge so looking at ways I can now route this into the fridge, but my mini kegerator plan looks like it’s going to work.

Attachments

• 92D5EDCA-4429-4FA0-879A-B59D24D5D807.jpeg
    92D5EDCA-4429-4FA0-879A-B59D24D5D807.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 206
So - I’m happy to report that this is going to be a success :)

My disconnects have arrived today and I’ve just done a size check and everything is going to fit. Keg height with everything attached is coming in at a shade under 39cm.

Big co2 bottle will not fit in the fridge so looking at ways I can now route this into the fridge, but my mini kegerator plan looks like it’s going to work.

It's kinda cool with the glass door, being able to see what's inside. Are you using a party tap or will you be mounting a tap on the fridge?

Yeah I've got a party tap on there, but now i think about it a small tower on the top would look pretty good .....

I thought I'd add an update on this in case anyone stumbles on it in future.

In general - the idea worked - however it certainly isn't an optimal setup.

One thing I'd never considered with the beer fridge was the temperature it actually dropped to.

It was fine having a few cans and bottles in there, but when i started added kegs in it really struggled to get much below 10oC - especially when it was warm over summer and then it didnt even manage that.
It also took an eternity to get the keg to chill down & as you can only fit 1 9.5L keg in there - youd then have to wait a few days for your next beer to chill down and carbonate when that was finished.
Also - you need to keep the gas outside the fridge - my bottle simply wouldnt fit so it wasnt an option to keep everythign hidden aaway.

Given I've only got one fridge I can use for my beer and brewing stuff, I've had a word with the mrs and weve come to an arrangement whereby I sell the mini fridge & got a full size fridge in the mancave instead.
This can actually get properly cold (down to about 2-3oC) so I can at least try and cold crash in the keg, plus I can now fit way more stuff in there like full size kegs, the half kegs and bottles too. New fridge woudl fit 2 x 9.5L and 2 x 19L kegs if I keep the gas outside so it offers a lot more options.

I think the story here is it will work at an absolute push - but youll probably be wanting a proper fridge sooner rather than later (I did anyway).

If you are wanting to get a full keg down to cold crashing temperatures, it's often best to start out with a freezer as the base unit. My keezer can get three kegs & sundry apparatus down to 1-2C for cold crashing & lagering with no problems, coming on about once an hour for a five minute burst, where a fridge will be working at maximum trying to achieve the same thing.

I thought I'd add an update on this in case anyone stumbles on it in future.

In general - the idea worked - however it certainly isn't an optimal setup.

One thing I'd never considered with the beer fridge was the temperature it actually dropped to.

It was fine having a few cans and bottles in there, but when i started added kegs in it really struggled to get much below 10oC - especially when it was warm over summer and then it didnt even manage that.
It also took an eternity to get the keg to chill down & as you can only fit 1 9.5L keg in there - youd then have to wait a few days for your next beer to chill down and carbonate when that was finished.
Also - you need to keep the gas outside the fridge - my bottle simply wouldnt fit so it wasnt an option to keep everythign hidden aaway.

Given I've only got one fridge I can use for my beer and brewing stuff, I've had a word with the mrs and weve come to an arrangement whereby I sell the mini fridge & got a full size fridge in the mancave instead.
This can actually get properly cold (down to about 2-3oC) so I can at least try and cold crash in the keg, plus I can now fit way more stuff in there like full size kegs, the half kegs and bottles too. New fridge woudl fit 2 x 9.5L and 2 x 19L kegs if I keep the gas outside so it offers a lot more options.

I think the story here is it will work at an absolute push - but youll probably be wanting a proper fridge sooner rather than later (I did anyway).
Useful info thanks

Back