Keptinis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Flint

Reaction score
A little bit of an experiment with beer brewing, and i'm not great at constructing recipes but thought I would share my first try at a Keptinis from yesterday evening.

Grain
- 2KG Marris Otter Pale Ale

Hops
- 30g Fuggles

Yeast
- SafAle s04 (quarter sachet)

Water
- 9.5L

Started with a 75 minute mash in a bag with 3.5L water @65C

I then transferred the mash into a wide and shallow pan, with the little liquid, and loaded it into the oven @200C for 3 hours.
The resulting mash had dried out considerably, had a very thin black burnt crust, but beneath was a beautiful, deep brown caramel mash.
(I luckily live above my bakery, so i have access to a stone deck oven, which worked rather well at this, the stone deck provided direct heat to the underside of the pan and the caramelization process was fairly quick)

While the mash was baking, I brought 3L water to boil, then added hops for 30 minutes, then cooled to 70C.

I then chucked the mash into a bucket, added the hop tea, and let sit for 15 minutes. I then transferred all into a fermenting bucket through a bag, and gave a thorough squeeze, the wort was thick and dark, and when i measured the OG with the temp correction, came out at 1.086, so i added 3L cold water, measured again and got 1.060.

I got just under 6L wort in the end, and pitched the yeast at 20C

Its been bubbling away all day!

Any questions or suggestions welcome!

It's been a while since you posted this, but I've been toying with the idea of brewing a keptinis. I like your approach, it seems similar to the one that was posted on Basic Brewing a while back. Can you remember how the beer turned out? Was it worth the effort?
Cheers!

It's been a while since you posted this, but I've been toying with the idea of brewing a keptinis. I like your approach, it seems similar to the one that was posted on Basic Brewing a while back. Can you remember how the beer turned out? Was it worth the effort?
Cheers!
If you check out @Pennine brew thread, he brewed keptinis

Latest posts

Back