King Keg Trauma

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killick Greenie

Reaction score
I've just noticed a pool of dark mild around the King Keg. Tap checked and not leaking :hmm: Transfer beer into trusty corny and inspection reveals a three and a half inch crack at the base of the King Keg. Its deep enough to get a thumb nail in it. Are we declaring the King is dead?

I have thought of trying to fettle it with a hot soldering iron but I guess if the crack has gone through the keg it is a gonner?

Second question, can I use a corny for secondary fermentation? I've got some Speckled Hen due out of fermentation today :party:

:cheers:

BIGJIM72 said:
Is it under a year old?-if so back to point of purchase & they should change it. If not,try Weltonhurst who are the manufacturers.

Just dropped them a note so hopefully they will be willing to stand by their products. I've got two of these and they are only about two years old, the other one is fine. I don't want to have to fork out for another one if this is going to happen again.

I feel your pain, one of my WIlko kegs has gonr the same way, only the 2nd brew in it, Wilko are taking it back to investigate, but lost around 20 pints of Golden Stag

I Have ROTOKEG which lost pressure have replaced tap with a sparkler tap replaced all seals, filled with water to pressure test but it only holds for about 36 hours is this normal because it water :?: :?:

Killick Greenie said:
BIGJIM72 said:
Is it under a year old?-if so back to point of purchase & they should change it. If not,try Weltonhurst who are the manufacturers.

Just dropped them a note so hopefully they will be willing to stand by their products. I've got two of these and they are only about two years old

Aye,about the same age as my faulty one would have been-think there may have been a duff batch. I still have the contact details for the person who helped me if you need them, pm me.

Contacted the manufacturer who got back to me within a day or so (10/10). I sent some pictures through of the split and the cap and the guy I sent them to said if they spilt as a result of the process it will be along the seam. Mine was definitely not along the seam so it was caused by over pressure in the Keg. The next question was about the cap and valve, mine just had the one that came with it from the shop and it worked ok getting gas in but it looks like it wasn't doing anything to release pressure.

The manufacturers cap should have a W stamped on it, mine didn't so I assume the shop buys the kegs without the cap and then sticks its own cap on which might be cheaper but no point in being cheap if they dont work. :whistle:

So, the keg split but not on the seam, the cap was not the one from the manufacturer. Things not looking good.... however the guy I was talking to about the problem said it was not a problem because they would replace the keg and cap anyway :clap: It arrived via courier and will, this afternoon, accept its first batch of proper beer.

King Keg get my vote and the manufacturer, Weltonhurst, gets a well deserved 10/10 for customer service and another 10/10 for being a UK based company who can cut the mustard in this department.

Happy days :cheers:

BIGJIM72 said:
They do seem to be perfectly reasonable people to deal with.Glad it all worked out.

Thank you for posting the link, it was a key factor in the equation.

My advice would be never to rely on the pressure valve. I have seen mine go well over the recommended 10 psi without venting. Either go very easy on the priming sugar or fit a pressure gauge (about 13 quid on eBay) or a car tyre valve do that you can tell what is going on.

The Hobgoblin that I kegged 5 weeks ago was a couple of points over final gravity and I am still having to vent pressure from it every day to keep it below 10 psi.

Wezzel said:
My advice would be never to rely on the pressure valve. I have seen mine go well over the recommended 10 psi without venting. Either go very easy on the priming sugar or fit a pressure gauge (about 13 quid on eBay) or a car tyre valve do that you can tell what is going on.

Thanks very much, that is really good advice. I'll check Ebay out as you have suggested. I'm getting around to sorting out my gas management out and have emailed Norm so I'll get back to him this week.

Latest posts

Back