Kit american IPA PB and hop woes advice appreciated

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyt

Reaction score
hi. so so far i have made kit ciders, and wines and been pretty happy with the results and touch wood not had any issues i have been priming the cider into 2lt pet bottles and results have been acceptable after a few weeks sat in garage.....
untill now i decided to do an IPA that called for dry hop pellets to be added to fv after 7 days and left for another 3 days before bottling, my plan with this one due to lack of bottles was to keg it into king keg i got second hand.....
after reading lots of issues on this forum i decided to add a schradder valve and a 15psi pressure dial to check for leaks without wasting co2 while waiting for the IPA to ferment before i used the s30 co2 i had ..... found s30 valve on cap to leak badly fought with it for days, new seals new washers etc, then ordered a whole new stainless steel s30 valve which came today..............and even with new valve blinking thing leaks think cap hole is warped

so long story long today was the 5th day(instead of the 3) the hops had been in fv as they was loose i couldnt take them out, was now getting worried beer was going to be ruined as its now 5/6 days since any activity in airlock and i had popped lid off 5 days ago to add hops, so i have ended up priming and bottling into 2lt pet bottles, i took a taste and omg it is way too bitter to drink
so after my long winded post my question is has the ipa been ruined by having the hops in there nearly double the time instructions stated? and what are the chances of the bitterness reducing over time? i dont mind sitting it at back of garage if there is a chance it will be drinkable in a few months but if its ruined leaving the hops in for double the time i would rather know and just move on
thanks for any help if it makes any difference the hops were a 50g mix of Centennial and Chinook

Last edited:
I understand that you don't want to leave your dry hops in for too long as you might get a "grassy" taste but 6 days is nothing to worry about.

They won't have added significant bitterness either as they weren't boiled, they're an aroma addition. I'm surprised that you're finding it way too bitter to drink but I'd wait until it's carbonated before doing anything rash like pouring it away as you might find the flavour balances out a bit

thanks for that SheffieldBrew so glad i didnt tip it, just decided to see what it was like omg its lush, not sure why it was so bitter when i tasted it (i tasted it from trial jar when i took fg) maybe it was more concentrated on the top inch of the fv, who knows, but even at a week in the bottle it is a hell of a lot nicer than some i have paid for in bars

Back