Kits 'on the quick'. ? Advice from experience.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
So. Hope you are all good and brewing well.

Not been around much recently on the forums as, well, I have not had much to add.

Aside from the ciders, my wine staples and 'go tos' are now / still Beaverdale 30 reds and Kenridge Classics. All , of course , sourced from Creative Wine.

Reason for this post is really to share some experience now 50 + kits down the line. ( Streuth that is some glugging. )

Assuming all usual sterilising needs have been achieved I am finding that , regardless of kit instructions, the following produces excellent results EVERY time.

Put it all together in a bin as instructed. Let it go.

14 days later ( this seems to not vary too much despite outside weather - kept in small room which DOES vary temp overnight. and gets cold ) - this is normally down to 0.992 - 0.994 - and has stopped. Anything over 0.994 then leave it a while although I have never had to do this.

Day 15 - degass WELL with wand on drill. Add stabilisers etc according to kit and then Kieselsol.
24 hours later - add Chitosan. Gentle stir.

Another 24 hours then this is clear enough for me for quaffing wine and can be bottled if needs must. Give it another few days and it will be crystal clear and 'good to go'. Leave it longer then no harm done. Kenridge especially is great straight away but does improve well in the bottle over a few months. Beaverdale for me stays the same with time but is still good.

Hope this helps somebody. Any questions then pm.

Edit - , a rack is normally done either at day 14 for Kenridge or earlier for Beaverdale ( the latter not being imperative.

Last edited:
A great guide. :thumba:

Hope this helps somebody. Any questions then pm.

No need to take it to private messages if members want to know something post in the thread so others benefit from reading both questions and answers.

Last edited:
Nice one @Vinotinto .I'm planning to bottle a 23ltr beaverdale pinot noir this weekend and reading lthrough your post is exactly how ive done it so looking forward to a glass on saturday night!. Its tasted great after degassing when I had a little sample.

Nice one @Vinotinto .I'm planning to bottle a 23ltr beaverdale pinot noir this weekend and reading lthrough your post is exactly how ive done it so looking forward to a glass on saturday night!. Its tasted great after degassing when I had a little sample.

Sounds good. The Pinot Noir is by far my favourite Beaverdale.

Latest posts

Back