Krausen not falling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eduardo

Reaction score
Gravity readings seem to be spot on, but my krausen is just not showing any sign of falling.

Anything to be concerned about here?

How can I get it to drop? My other brews have always fallen within 3 to 5 days.

I just used US-05 and it took 15 days to drop out fully @ 17c... leaving it for longer will do no harm, infact... it will do it the world of good cleaning up the beer!

Brew Dawg said:
I just used US-05 and it took 15 days to drop out fully @ 17c... leaving it for longer will do no harm, infact... it will do it the world of good cleaning up the beer!

It's US-05 I'm using aswell. Thanks for the info, I'll just leave it be.

From my experiences of it the US-05 krausen can be pretty thick and stubborn. First time around I ended up giving my FV a swirl around on the 12 day mark so it would break up and sink prior to dry-hopping.

Just this afternoon given my second brew with it the same treatment, although this one had started to fall a b on its own accord, maybe because the room is a bit chillier at the minute so it's getting a semi-cold crash. Thinking about it only on day 8 with this one too.

:lol: What timing! I was just wondering the same thing. And of course with US-05 too. I found it had a slower more even ferment compared to the S-04.

Ya know, the more I think about this, I wonder if some grain might have an effect too? for example, I'm using US-05 but I'm also using Carapils which may have a better head retention than some grain .......... just an idea :hmm:

Cold crashing it will cause the kraeusen to drop and the beer to clear up a treat.

mattyhall22 said:
Day 15 on my Evil Dog and the krausen is still strong and on the top :cheers:
Mine was the same I transferred it on day 18 ready to hop but very cloudy going to hop on day 19 for 3 days and then leave in cold to clear . Takes a long time so hope it's worth it

ian808 said:
mattyhall22 said:
Day 15 on my Evil Dog and the krausen is still strong and on the top :cheers:
Mine was the same I transferred it on day 18 ready to hop but very cloudy going to hop on day 19 for 3 days and then leave in cold to clear . Takes a long time so hope it's worth it

having thought about it I'm putting it in the cold to clear then i'll hop it for a few days before bottling

I've had this one cold crashing a couple of days now and it's clearing up a treat.

Will this effect bottle conditioning tho? Eg; will all the yeast have dropped out and left me with very little to carb?

the yeast don't die in the cold the just become dormant (I think) and then will be back to carb your beer when you raise temp and prime it

Eduardo said:
I've had this one cold crashing a couple of days now and it's clearing up a treat.

Will this effect bottle conditioning tho? Eg; will all the yeast have dropped out and left me with very little to carb?

Even when it looks clear there is enough yeast in suspension to prime :thumb:

I should be less dirty especially if you skim early on. You can wash using boiled cooled water, plenty advice on here if you serach. Storage it should last a few weeks in a fridge in a sterilised tupperware dish or you can freeze but you will need to use a mixture of 50% yeast, 25% Boiled and cooled water and 25% glycerine (from boots) and put in small vials ie about 50ml total. This can then be used as a starter. Some people sucessfully just bung it in the freezer but the freezing can rupture cells and affect the viability of the yeast.

I recently skimmed the remains of the US-05 top froth before racking to secondary for dry hopping, after a week in primary (at 1.009), as I prefer to dry hop in a clearer vessel than the primary bucket. If I hadn't been dry hopping then I'd probably have waited for stable gravity, chilled down, and only racked to secondary (skimming if necessary) if I wanted to speed up further clearing.

I'm aware of a pro brewer who chills us-05 after just 2 days work in primary! There must be some serious krausen still left at that point. By contrast, WY3787 seemed to sit on top until the moment it had finished its work, then drop out well.

morethanworts said:
I'm aware of a pro brewer who chills us-05 after just 2 days work in primary! There must be some serious krausen still left at that point. By contrast, WY3787 seemed to sit on top until the moment it had finished its work, then drop out well.

That does sound mighty fast, although the larger volumes will speed up the ferment

Latest posts

Back