Kveik APA bottle swap anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing you still have mine to try too? You must have them stacking up to review!

Sorry for the delay, but yes, I enjoyed your elderflower ale last night. :thumb:

It was a lovely lightly carbed, golden, clear pint. Very drinkable, and to my tastes, nicely balanced with a bitter finish.
I don't know the recipe - is there much elderflower in there? It had a distinctive pleasant but not overpowering flavour. Are there some goldings in there too?
Would also be interested to know the ABV - it went down a treat but tasted like it might be deceptively strong

Thanks for the swap.
:cheers:

Sorry for the delay, but yes, I enjoyed your elderflower ale last night. :thumb:

It was a lovely lightly carbed, golden, clear pint. Very drinkable, and to my tastes, nicely balanced with a bitter finish.
I don't know the recipe - is there much elderflower in there? It had a distinctive pleasant but not overpowering flavour. Are there some goldings in there too?
Would also be interested to know the ABV - it went down a treat but tasted like it might be deceptively strong

Thanks for the swap.
:cheers:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Its always good to hear someone else enjoys fruits of your own labour!
Hops were Challenger & Fuggle with 15g of dried elderflowers.
Target ABV was 4.5% and I achieved 5.5%. It was only my 5th AG recipe so was still getting used to the BM. Although in my brew day notes I did note that I might have put too much pale malt!

Hope you enjoy the stout.

Certainly did :thumb: it was a crackin pint.
Still no piccies sorry, but it poured jet black with a lovely creamy head.
Another really nicely balanced beer with a smooth roastiness. It didn't last long!

Its always a treat to try other HBs and I'm sure trying others helps make my own beers better. - Thanks all for the swaps :hat:

Finally got round to drinking the bottle last night.

Initial thoughts, was it supposed to be hazy? Cracking aroma hit on opening. Despite it standing upright for weeks there was a lot of yeast around the neck of the bottle, couldn't get it all out which may have added to the haze?

Tasted lovely, nice amount of bitterness and a decent head. Went down well. Only negative was it seemed a bit thin.

Thanks for the swap

Finally got round to drinking the bottle last night.

Initial thoughts, was it supposed to be hazy? Cracking aroma hit on opening. Despite it standing upright for weeks there was a lot of yeast around the neck of the bottle, couldn't get it all out which may have added to the haze?

Tasted lovely, nice amount of bitterness and a decent head. Went down well. Only negative was it seemed a bit thin.

Thanks for the swap

Thanks Leon
Most of my beers end up a little hazy, especially if dry hopped, but I think the 4% wheat malt, and the yeast contributed to make this one hazier than most.
I know what you mean about being a bit thin, but it finished at 1.010, so must be due to the yeast I think???
Interesting that no-one commented on any yeast derived flavours - I might risk increasing the temp next time I brew with this, as the manufacturer recommends taking up to 30C+ to get more flavour out of the yeast.
I was thinking of using this yeast for the coriander/motueka pale mentioned on your thread.

Thanks Leon
Most of my beers end up a little hazy, especially if dry hopped, but I think the 4% wheat malt, and the yeast contributed to make this one hazier than most.
I know what you mean about being a bit thin, but it finished at 1.010, so must be due to the yeast I think???
Interesting that no-one commented on any yeast derived flavours - I might risk increasing the temp next time I brew with this, as the manufacturer recommends taking up to 30C+ to get more flavour out of the yeast.
I was thinking of using this yeast for the coriander/motueka pale mentioned on your thread.

I didn't and still haven't read up on the yeast to know what I was expecting? What did you mash at? Perhaps it contributed to the 'thinness'?

I didn't and still haven't read up on the yeast to know what I was expecting? What did you mash at? Perhaps it contributed to the 'thinness'?

The yeast is meant to add:-
a light earthy spiciness, marked tartness and unique ester profile of orange peel.
The mash started at 66.3C and dropped a couple of degrees over 90 mins.
:-?

Certainly did :thumb: it was a crackin pint.
Still no piccies sorry, but it poured jet black with a lovely creamy head.
Another really nicely balanced beer with a smooth roastiness. It didn't last long!

Its always a treat to try other HBs and I'm sure trying others helps make my own beers better. - Thanks all for the swaps :hat:

Had the treat of dan's east Kent coast ipa tonight, which arrived on Friday

Gentleman if he offers you a swap/a drink at his - I would bite his hand off! Dan definitely brews beers I want to drink and I hope he likes my black ipa tweak on the stout he had previously (I'll have it in the post tomorrow - sorry).

As expected this poured cloudy (and maybe with a bit of added yeast-thanks to royal mail ) but the aroma all the way through was heavenly.

A lovely citrus hit with every sip, very similar to my hoppy Vienna with galaxy which I have one left for Xmas...as i progressed through the pint it reminded me more and more of punk ipa. Really interested in what hops Dan used in this as he has found a great combo/hop schedule.

At the half pint point i started to regret the speed I was drinking this as I would have happily reached for, at least, a 2nd if it was available.

Another great pint Dan. Thanks.

20161128_171910.jpg

20161128_171857.jpg

Had the treat of dan's east Kent coast ipa tonight, which arrived on Friday

Another great pint Dan. Thanks.

Thanks wfr42, glad you enjoyed it :grin:
The Vermont ale yeast would have probably settled a bit more in a few more days, but it wouldn't make much difference - I'm just drinking the last bottle of this and even without royal mail's assistance its still very cloudy thanks to the 16% total oats & wheat + Vermont yeast: -

Its definitely got the hoppiness I was hoping for, but when I make V2 a couple of brews from now I'm gonna try to bring the bitterness down a touch.
Well done for spotting the galaxy (main dry hop) in the hop schedule and the Nelson/Chinook in the dry hop are probably reminding you of the punk ipa:-

24L batch

60mins
Apollo - 4g

5mins
Azacca - 50g
Amarillo - 20g
Apollo - 10g

Steep 30mins @ 70C
Azacca - 50g
Amarillo - 20g
Apollo - 10g

Dry hopped in 3 stages (as I understand is the done thing with East Coast IPas)

@ Yeast pitching
Galaxy - 40g
Apollo - 10g
Chinook - 10g
Nelson - 10g

4 days into Fermentation
Galaxy - 40g
Apollo - 10g
Chinook - 10g
Nelson - 10g

Last 5 days in 2ndry
Galaxy - 40g