Labelling - I think I've cracked it.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken L

Landlord.
Reaction score
My beer labels are very simple, just a piece of printer paper with the name of the bottle content and the date bottled. They are maybe 1cm x 4cm on average and printed out in columns on a sheet of A4.

I've finally worked out what has to be the easiest way of getting these on the bottle.
I cut the sheet of A4 into strips of labels, go over the back with a glue stick and set them aside to dry. When they are dry, cut them into individual labels.
take a damp cloth and lay it on your work surface and it then takes moments to moisten the back of the label and fix it to the bottle.
This is much less cruddy then trying to glue each label individually or trying to cut labels that are wet with glue.

Ken L said:
My beer labels are very simple, just a piece of printer paper with the name of the bottle content and the date bottled. They are maybe 1cm x 4cm on average and printed out in columns on a sheet of A4.

I've finally worked out what has to be the easiest way of getting these on the bottle.
I cut the sheet of A4 into strips of labels, go over the back with a glue stick and set them aside to dry. When they are dry, cut them into individual labels.
take a damp cloth and lay it on your work surface and it then takes moments to moisten the back of the label and fix it to the bottle.
This is much less cruddy then trying to glue each label individually or trying to cut labels that are wet with glue.

From what I understand people just use milk rather than glue. Is the glue not quite hard to remove once finished?

For the milk method just cut the label, use a basting brush and brush some milk onto the rear of the label, stick it to the bottle. When the milk dries the label will remain in place :)

Is the glue not quite hard to remove once finished?

No, the labels come off in seconds as you wash the bottles and don't leave a residue.

Two fantastic ideas there, I've been using address lables but some of the glue is shocking in them and it sticks to the glass when washing

Djseaton said:
Two fantastic ideas there, I've been using address lables but some of the glue is shocking in them and it sticks to the glass when washing

Ouch.
I've had to get those things off DJ's in the past. Suffice to say that I now use tie on labels on those.

May not look very professional but i use a labelling gun ( ones shops use for pricing) straight onto the crown cap. No residue on bottles at all saves loads of time when washing em up .
EDIT .
the labels are the produced on / use by ones. so in the produced on i put bottling date and use by i use charachters to form a name to identify each different batch.

The milk thing sounds interesting. I'll have to give that a go as I'm all but out of gummed paper and address labels are a pain in that they either dont stuck or stick too well.

Latest posts

Back