Lager priming - should I add yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenito

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm planning to brew my first lager (Pilsner) in the next few weeks and as with anything new, I've come up with some questions.
I've looked and searched on the forums and elsewhere and there's a common suggestion to add some yeast before batch priming a lager. I've never had any issues before with batch priming (including a 2-3days coldcrashed batch), but I guess the longer cold period lager requires will make things different. I've read that it's advisable to add some fresh yeast before priming, but I've not seen anywhere suggest how much? If I add a fresh pack (most likely saflager S-189) will that be too much for a 20 liter batch?

I usually just decant from my plastic speidel fermenter via the tap directly into the bottling bucket, and then batch prime with a sugar solution.

TIA

I've done a couple of lagers in the past and like you, batch primed in a bottling bucket. Neither time did I add anymore yeast during this process, and both times I had nicely carbonated beers. I left mine to carbonate for just over a week and then moved them into the cold to condition for a few weeks (albeit regularly sampling them, cos, well, they were delicious).

Thanks MrL73 - I'm imagining that by transporting the FV I'll kick up some yeast.

I'll give it a go without extra yeast then.

I've done both ways and found that without additional yeast it took a bit longer to carb and I had to knock the fridge up to 22c for a week to get it to carb.

With additional yeast it carbed in 5 days.

I've done both ways and found that without additional yeast it took a bit longer to carb and I had to knock the fridge up to 22c for a week to get it to carb.

With additional yeast it carbed in 5 days.

Did you just add another pack of dried yeast to the bottling bucket? Or a lesser amount?

Did you just add another pack of dried yeast to the bottling bucket? Or a lesser amount?

I added half of a spare pack that came with a kit. I've heard people say you should use the original yeast and others say it won't matter as it's not enough to change character.
As said though. It's not strictly necessary.

And for priming, 0,1 to 0,5 g dry yeast extra in the bottling bucket is more than enough, not half a sachet.

If unsure, transfer some into a small primed plastic fizzy water or pop bottle and keep warm for a few days, if it gets firm, there's enough yeast left.

I have two answers for you:
  1. Yes you do need to add yeast at bottling.
  2. No you don't need to add yeast at bottling.

I'm not trying to be funny, or confuse you, but my experience is mixed - we were discussing this just the other day, this post (& thread) might be worth a read. In that post I also reference an experiment I tried recently which might be worth taking a look at too.

Personally I'm really not sure at the moment - I wonder if the yeast strain has some bearing on it. In all cases I've got some carbonation, just that some of those were not as fizzy as I'd have expected for the amount of priming sugar. I guess the only way to find out is to brew more beer and try a few different yeasts! acheers.

Planning to brew next month, I'll be sure to report back. Pitching two packets of dried yeast (11.5g). On non-lagers I usually pitch one packet, and cold condition, and get good carbonation. So I shall see what happens

Back