Lagering my pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Cheapbrew - I thought that would be the case. I think I will brew it at 13-14 litres, so I don't need to add sugar, and it will fit in my smaller, house-friendly FV! :wink:

Lagering is the process of conditioning the beer ( literally =storing), traditionally done at cool temperature for months ( octoberfest beer would be in storage now or very soon ) this protracted cold storage aids clarity as it gives a long time for the yeast etc to settle

How you get ready for storage does not make much difference I guess, but for me it makes sense to get the bottling and carbonation over with then leave it to condition

My first lager I cold crashed for a month before bottling and carbonation is only coming right now.... bottled October last year.

Hi!
I really like Nottingham ale yeast because it leaves a nice, firm sediment in the FV and bottle. I have a couple of lager kits that I plan to brew with Nottingham yeast after reading these comments on the Danstar website: "The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer. With a relatively high alcohol tolerance, Nottingham is a great choice for creation of higher-alcohol specialty beers!
• Lager-style beer has been brewed with Nottingham, however low fermentation temperature requires adaptation of the pitching rate to ensure proper attenuation."

Hi!
I really like Nottingham ale yeast because it leaves a nice, firm sediment in the FV and bottle. I have a couple of lager kits that I plan to brew with Nottingham yeast after reading these comments on the Danstar website: "The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer. With a relatively high alcohol tolerance, Nottingham is a great choice for creation of higher-alcohol specialty beers!
• Lager-style beer has been brewed with Nottingham, however low fermentation temperature requires adaptation of the pitching rate to ensure proper attenuation."

I've got a porter that I fermented at 15C in the FV at the mo. I used two packets of Notty. Went of like a rocket

Guessing notingham will give more of a golden ale than a lager though
Hi!
Thanks, mike.
The majority of lager kits on the market are not really lagers, just as the popular commercial lagers are not "true" lagers. Perhaps they should be called golden ale.
I want to make a lighter, crisper beer than the ones I've been brewing, a lager-style beer, as Danstar call it.
I really like the firm sedimentation that yeast like Nottingham and SO4 leave. I suppose I'm going to have to try a true lager yeast at some point and see just what the sediment is like, but for now I'll try Nottingham, pitch double the quantity and ferment at 14 or15 degrees.

Hi!
Thanks, mike.
The majority of lager kits on the market are not really lagers, just as the popular commercial lagers are not "true" lagers. Perhaps they should be called golden ale.
I want to make a lighter, crisper beer than the ones I've been brewing, a lager-style beer, as Danstar call it.
I really like the firm sedimentation that yeast like Nottingham and SO4 leave. I suppose I'm going to have to try a true lager yeast at some point and see just what the sediment is like, but for now I'll try Nottingham, pitch double the quantity and ferment at 14 or15 degrees.

This 'lighter crisper, lager-style beer' is also know as a pseudo-lager. I planning on having a go using some lager and munich malt as the grains and perle hops

Back